barebones router for cable modem

Thread: barebones router for cable modem

Post barebones router for cable modem

In the new house my fiance and I just bought, we will be able to have broadband access. I can piece together another machine to surf with (PII 300) but I've been strictly informed that under no uncertain terms am I allowed to spend any money on computers for a little while until we are settled and comfortable with the mortgage, so the idea of a broadband router is out of the question.

What I'd like to try to do is build a barebones box (pentium 100 or something) with 2 NICs and run either ICS or some other shareware / freeware NAT application to share the internet to the other machines. I don't think the implementation will be that difficult, but I'm concerned about security.

What would my fellow techs reccomend. Install Zone Alarm only on the router box? Install Zone Alarm or other software firewall on all boxes? Has anyone implemented a similar system? How would the firewall work with streaming media, Kazza downloads and instant messaging software?

I have enough scrap parts to make this happen, just need to track down a 4 port 10base hub from somewhere. I'm not even allowed to buy a decent video card (radeon ve for $52) so that we can play games against each other. In the end it's a small sacrifice to pay to have a house just like what we've always talked about. (She's not allowed to go to Walmart, so it does go both ways)
    any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

The simplest solution would be to setup linux has a router/firewall (don't ask me how to do it.. I don't know linux). If your not advers to BackedUp software, Use 2k server with ISA server..(needs more resources) great firewal with nat built in. other than that, Windows has Internet connection Sharing that might work out for you (though this option has lots of security holes.)

I think for your situation, learn linux well enough to setup a router/firewall box.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Check out these threads <a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=17&t=007289&p=" target="_blank">here</a> and <a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=35&t=000829&p=" target="_blank">here</a>
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

thanks Gollo,

I took a look at the smooth wall documentation and it doesn't seem that hard to configure. I think I'll give it a shot.

Cool

I guess I'm a little confused. The future wife would rather you spend an exhorbitant amount of time and effort in building a firewall machine and configuring connection sharing when you could just buy a simple Cable/DSL router for around $60.00 + S/H and get a firewall software package? Quick, simple, and she doesn't get upset that you spend more time away from her so you can undertake this firewall box. Just ask her what is more important, saving a little money or spending more quality time with her. Of course, she could just turn right around and tell you that the connection sharing is not needed. Tread lightly.

well, with the new house purchase, we both have decided to be as frugal as possible. If I can build a router for a minimal amount of cash, with components I already have, then I really should do it that way.

We will be raising our housing cost by about $300-$350 dollars a month, (mortgage, utilities, phone and cable) which really isn't that bad, but we are also still trying save about $5000 for our upcoming wedding in september. that means that any non essential spending has got to go. As much as I love computers, buying a router is really a non essential purchase. We have both decided to do this she's just holding me to the fire on it. As much as I try to talk her into it she's steadfast. And to be honest, it makes me love her more.

Besides, having never touched linux before, and also having a class mate who knows how to do this, I think it would be a good learning exercise.

[quote]Originally posted by kato2274:

<strong>Besides, having never touched linux before, and also having a class mate who knows how to do this, I think it would be a good learning exercise.
    </strong><hr></blockquote>

That is the best way to learn.. I'm covering Linux in school next semester so i'm not to keen on learning it now.(no need)
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Heres a tutorial for floppy firewall, i've sold several of these at my last job, the beauty is no HDD necessary, you can pick up a 486 at a yard sale config it w your main monitor, then just set it in a corner and forget it. <a href="http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1155/sam0101i/0101i.htm" target="_blank">HERE</a>
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."