Weird????

Thread: Weird????

Post Weird????

Hi,

My friend has a PC which is causing intermittent Explorer errors in Kernel32.dll.
    This can happen as soon as the PC boots or when using various different software - it's completely intermittent. I took the PC round to my house and ran the PC for 48 hours solid, using the same software as him without a single hitch. I take the PC back to his place and the error occurs within 30 seconds. Take it back to mine - no probs. It only happens when the machine is based at his house. The only difference that I can see between my place and his is that he is running his PC off a 4 gang socket which has his PC, monitor, printer & scanner plugged into it, where as I only run his pc and monitor off the same supply socket. Is there any chance that this could be causing the problem i.e because of the number of devices running off the same power channel, could it be fluctuating/draining the power enough to cause these errors on his PC???

I simply can't think of any other explanation.
    Any info would be SERIOUSLY appreciated!!

Cheers

Paul

possibly it is the power supply - I had a similar problem at my parent's house down in deepest, darkest devon - weired errors, pc switching itself on in the middle of the night. I did about 40 reinstalls of the software, then when I moved up to reading - I forgot all about it - but at the moment I have a box on a surge protector on it's own 13A supply.

Check the power draw ratings of the different devices - typically pcs may use 6A, monitors 6A as well, deskjet printers about 1A, lasers from 4-7A depending on size, and speakers from 0.5-2A again depending on power. If you're close to 13A, try removing a couple of the devices at your mate's house. If he's still havening a problem, the only other think I can think of is a really, really strong magnetic field somewhere, either that or his house is haunted....

Change power cables, get a surge/spike protector - about £14 from Dixons and run the box on it's own power source.
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

That's definetly a power problem. The about suggested is good. Ontop of that you might want to consider getting an ups.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

I'd definatley get a good UPS.
    "The course of this conflict is not known, yet its outcome is certain. Freedom and fear, justice and cruelty, have always been at war, and we know that God is not neutral between them." President George W. Bush

Thanks for all your replies. I'll try running the machine on it's own dedicated supply and I'll look into getting a surge protector.

Cheers

Paul

[quote]Originally posted by paul.rowling:
    <strong>I'll look into getting a surge protector.
    </strong><hr></blockquote>

All though a surge protector might help it wont get rid of the "dirty" power problem. To do that you will need either an ups (uninterrupted power supply) or a voltage regulator. When it comes down to it the ups is better all the way around.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert