??? LINDOWS ???

Thread: ??? LINDOWS ???

Question ??? LINDOWS ???

An Operating System that does Linuz Apps. And Win Apps...

Does anybody have any insider information about this new OS?... any trial editions available?...

What about driver support?

What about stability in apps?

I am very curious to see it run...actually see anything at all

However I not paying 99.99 just to receive emails about the software (www.lindows.com)

There are no screen shots, no specific detail description of this product...

Anywho... If anybody has any info about this Please Feel Free to

POST EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING...

ThanX In Advance!!
    "GOOD 2 GO"

<a href="http://www.lindows.com/lindows_products_screenshots.php" target="_blank">Screenshots</a>. Cheers.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Very interesting but perhaps a little late. If this was out before 2000 and XP hit the market I would actually say that M$ should be shaking in it's boots, however now that M$ has finally brought out a few fairly stable OSes that are being more and more supported every day, I don't see this taking off. Sounds like a really great idea and I had wondered why someone had not done a few years back.

Cool

As stated above, it might be a little too late for Lindows. It's only going to appeal to the ABMers (Anything But Microsoft) out there that are looking for an alternative to the Windows OS. It seems like a good idea, but it all depends on how well they can pull it off. Of course Microsoft has already put in motion a lawsuit to block Lindows from using the name "Lindows" because it sounds too much like Windows. Something about trademark infringement. Microsoft will lose the case, but I think they are more interested in draining some of Lindows' money in a prolonged legal battle. It's kind of odd, because from the name "Lindows" I understood right away that it would be a Linux based OS that could run programs designed for Windows. I guess I just don't understand Microsoft's point of view on the matter. Anywho, the Lindows OS borrows heavily from the WINE program for Linux, which let's some Windows programs run on Linux. It seems strange that they would take an open source OS like Linux and bundle it with a freeware program like WINE and then charge you $99.00 for something you can probably do yourself. I think I'll pass on Lindows. Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in Linux being able to run Windows applications, but not for $99.00.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

I have been reading up on this quite a bit and the only thing I see wrong with this (as of last time I heard) it runs everything as root, and for those of you who know unix/linux know this is a big security issue
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Isn't Micro$oft launching court action against Lindows???

I remember reading a tech article about that just a few weeks ago.