[RESOLVED] a+ question

Thread: [RESOLVED] a+ question

dlagace

Resolved [RESOLVED] a+ question

What is the right answer for grounding your self while servicing a PC, try to give me all right answers and all wrong answers, I've been studying and found that some demo tests online have conlifting anwers, like whether to ground to the case or not, personally I rarely ground myself, ive never had any problems with it but these are the kind of ?'s on the test.

oh and don't post if your going to say whether I need the Cert or not i,ve already seen that post on another topic.

------------------
    Belive me the customer is rarely right, just make it look like they are to keep them quiet, (if possible)

Web Master

Why are you trying to get your A+ , it's a waste of time ????

[This message has been edited by Web Master (edited February 24, 2001).]

Web Master

Just kidding with the above post, the best way to ground is to earth, but grounding to the computer works just as well in most case. The only way to be sure when using the case, is to test the socket for a true ground. Some sockets aren't grounded 100% to earth. But for a test bench if you know the sockets are grounded correctly, using the case is perfect.

dlagace

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Web Master:
    the best way to ground is to earth, but grounding to the computer works just as well in most case. The only way to be sure when using the case, is to test the socket for a true ground. Some sockets aren't grounded 100% to earth. But for a test bench if you know the sockets are grounded correctly, using the case is perfect.</font>
    is this what the exam would say did you write it,
    it not a real big deal its just that some tests saty one thing and another says something else

------------------
    Belive me the customer is rarely right, just make it look like they are to keep them quiet, (if possible)

wolf101

Also touching the power supply case is supposed to disapate static before handling components

------------------
    "all we wanted was a little art and culture'we didn't mean to break anything"-Attila

dlagace

Example:

When servicing a PC which is the correct way to ground yourself? Pick all that are true.

1 Metal case
    2 Metal desk
    3 Copper pipes exposed from the wall
    4 frame of flourescent lights
    5 the round hole on a wall outlet.
    6 the small rectangular hole on a wall outlet
    7 a plastic bottle
    8 a power supply
    9 a static mat
    10 a static strap
    11 wearing rubber soled shoes
    12 the carpet

------------------

Sorry_I_Win

1 Metal case - Yes, if computer is plugged in

2 Metal desk - No

3 Copper pipes exposed from the wall - only if they are water pipes or otherwise travel underground.

4 frame of flourescent lights - No

5 the round hole on a wall outlet - Yes

6 the small rectangular hole on a wall outlet - No

7 a plastic bottle - No (wtf?)

8 a power supply - If it is plugged in, yes

9 a static mat - If properly grounded, yes

10 a static strap - once again, if properly grounded, yes

11 wearing rubber soled shoes - huh? No

12 the carpet - Definitely No

Also, you never want to ground yourself when working on a CRT or other high-voltage device.

x_789

Well its not going to ask you a question like that you are sweating way to much man. They want you to say to a static mat and strap if possible if not with a grounding strap at least. It wont say what can you do it will say what should you do on the real test. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

dlagace

I'm not sweating at all. Just throwing this ? out to see what people who have done the test have to say. With exception of the plastic bottle and the carpet which I put in. I have seen all of these answers as correct on an online test or other a+ textbook. and Yes I know all these answers are not right.

------------------

Exclamation

The best "place" to ground yourself is on the AC Outlet

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

i have heard from a lot of people, where the best place to ground one self.
    I realize that there are some that think that grounding themselves to the third prong on a electical outlet is the best method.
    this would be the worst thing to do, in the possiblity that the ground line is carrying a current.
    the goal of grounding is to prevent a charge from going from you to the part being worked on, even if the part has a charge already, you dont want to make it lose the charge - or gain a new one.
    so the best place to ground is to the case of the computer (given that it is metal) or to the power supply (while unplugged)

i, like many others, never ground myself, and have never had a problem with ESD.
    (although i have met a guy that could shock a keyboard dead from about an inch away)

Thumbs up

Kanibul
    10x 4 the Words of Wisdom
    I never Thought about it

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Jallentino

My parents used to ground me a lot, but it was usually to my room. They never grounded me to an outlet. That would suck.

------------------
    "Dyin ain't much of a livin',boy"

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kannibul:
    i have heard from a lot of people, where the best place to ground one self.
    I realize that there are some that think that grounding themselves to the third prong on a electical outlet is the best method.
    this would be the worst thing to do, in the possiblity that the ground line is carrying a current.
    the goal of grounding is to prevent a charge from going from you to the part being worked on, even if the part has a charge already, you dont want to make it lose the charge - or gain a new one.
    so the best place to ground is to the case of the computer (given that it is metal) or to the power supply (while unplugged)

i, like many others, never ground myself, and have never had a problem with ESD.
    (although i have met a guy that could shock a keyboard dead from about an inch away)

</font>
    I am confused, how do you ground youself to something that when unplugged is resting on rubber feet - I do not see how the unplugged case is grounded? Please correct me if I am worng.

The best way to ground yourself is to attach a ground strap to a grounding pole (copper) driven 6 ft. into the ground or to copper water pipe (cold side (not that it should matter) as both of these are sure ways to get a good earth ground.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Also using a three prong outlet tester you should be able to tell if the outlet carries a good ground and therefore could be used as a ground.

Personally I un plug the powersupply from the board, plug it in to the wall (after testing the outlet) then touch the case/powersupply which is now grounded correctly.

------------------

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010