[RESOLVED] MSI K7t Turbo Ltd Ed Mobo + AMD 1.2/266FSB CPU

Thread: [RESOLVED] MSI K7t Turbo Ltd Ed Mobo + AMD 1.2/266FSB CPU

mikanda

Angry MSI K7t Turbo Ltd Ed Mobo + AMD 1.2/266FSB CPU

Anyone had the same probs?

Built 3 identical systems using MSI K7T Turbo Ltd Edition Mobo.
    AMD 1.2Ghz CPU
    256 SDRAM
    etc etc
    After 5 CPU changes, 2 Mobo changes, a Power supply and fans from 5000 to 7000RPM (All Globalwin) I still can't get the temp below 54Deg at idle!!!
    One CPU actually began to give the dreaded "I'm cooking" smell!
    Have tried all sorts......Never will build this combination again. Have never had probs with up to 1.0Ghz....Never used anything other than Gigabyte Mobo either.
    MSI's answer? Move the heat sensor to other side of CPU! As if that would make a difference (No,it didn't)
    Not yet game enough to make the CPU do a little work. The temp readings are just from booting and watching the nice graphic temp monitor package bundled with Mobo...Called PC Alert......Should be "Watch this mother cook!"
    So........am I on my own, or are there any other "Cooked at idle CPU's by MSI" out there?
    Hope for others sake, I am on my own. If I am, some tips would be nice.....sensible of course. I am not exactly in the joking mood anymore where these are concerned!

Ebu

Angry

Well, is that 54 degrees at F or C? Cuz if it is at F, 54 degrees isnt hot at all, so I am going to assume C. The only suggestion I could make is make sure you have a case with REALLY good airflow. I have an SX1030 case from Antec, but I only have a PIII 933MHz, but it keeps it nice and cool. I have heard that this is a great case for higher frequency Athlon's also, because the thing comes with 4 frickin 80mm fans. That's all I can really say about your question, because Athlons just naturally run very hot. Good luck

------------------
    "Color outside the lines"

mikanda

Talking

Thanks for the quick response / advice.
    Yes, you're right, it is Deg C
    Current Heatsink/Fan is Globalwin FQP68
    (6800RPM). Correct amount of paste under heatsink and yes..It is located correctly.
    I have looked, checked...the whole lot.
    Even added a "Case" fan to help matters.

As for the case and its airflow? I always look for cases with good ventilation. Mine has good ventilation at the sides and also at the front/back. Make?........Generic 300W ATX Midi-Tower case.
    Am still in contact with MSI, who are asking me to try fans, moving heat sensors, but not much else help...so far.
    I have decided, for the time-being to drop the FSB to 100Mhz (System now reads the 1.2Ghz as a 900Mhz). Temp has dropped to 36Deg C @ idle...Still too hot for my liking.

I have built (over the years) literally hundreds of PC's of all makes/sizes. Mine was an AMD K6/2 500Mhz and was running just fine, till I decided to upgrade....Now I have the PC from hell! It should be the best, considering!
    Crazy thing is, I built another identical and it is running at a comfortable 36Deg C @ idle and it only rises to 38Deg C under load.
    So, now do you see why paranoia has set in?
    Any solution (apart from torching it) would be extremely gratefully received. I could live with the common statement of "Hey, they run hot, get over it!" If I hadn't built a twin that ruins at a nice 36-38Deg C !!! Aaaargh!

AS I mentioned, I also have only ever used the Gigabyte board in vasrious formats. They have never given me any probs (even with AMD Duron up to 800Mhz & AMD Athlon up to 1.0Ghz)
    Still not convinced it isn't the board?
    To be honest too....Never have been too happy about the cae either, but why OK with another generic of the same quality?

I await a reply from out there.....Or do I?

Ah well, news to assist in understanding, if nothing else would be good. Thanks

Lips2001Ad

What are you talking about? from my experiance the average CPU idle temp is between 27 C to 50 C. my runs at 37 C. and no way is that too hot. I dont think your PC needs to cool down, You do instead.

mikanda

Smile

Yes, you may be right.
    But, now that I have switched the FSB back to 133, the temp has risen to 43Deg C @ idle.
    Even whilst having only a few apps open on the web, it decided to overheat and shutdown twice. Currently it is running @ 43Deg C with a chassis temp of 30Deg C.
    As mentioned, why does a twin clone run @ 36Deg C and 2 others built (identical) @ 43Deg c @ 54Deg C respectively?
    With mine, one can smell it getting hot.

FacQ

Wink

(I've got the same rig, well chip and board anyways. I had the exact same problem 'til I switched the heatsink and fan, was running a 46C and now with better heatsink and fan(cost me $25) it's running 32C idle and 36C under load. Check the HS/F bro. and cool down!! U too hot and bothered over this.

FacQ

Oh, and if the Heatsink is copper it conducts the heat better. Soddy for not mentioning before, most honorable master.

mikanda

Wink

Thanks for the tip.
    Yes, perhaps I am a tad too hot under the collar.
    I would be very grateful if you could supply the make & model number of the heatsink/fan assembly you are using. I'm more than happy to give this a try, but would like to ensure that this purchase is done only once.
    This will be the fourth heatsink/fan. I thought that there couldn't be anything better than a small fridge attached to the CPU after my last fan.

Much obliged. :-)

Hi,
    I have same system, inc' cpu, i got the fan and synk from:
    Power Computing Ltd in Bedford.
    My system runs sweet.
    Odd question but, did u overclock it? If so, that will cause a major use of the board and cpu. also, (this ain't easy) check that the voltage is correct on the board coz my 1st setup, i blew the cpu to Smokers Heaven coz the board had wrong voltage selected... oops.
    Good Luck

Peace/s
    Shmokin'

You should know that just because a case looks like it has good ventilation doesnt mean the airflow inside the case is good. Depending on the setup it may be causing major turbulence inside the case. Amd has a very good tutorial on this on their site.
    Also although 54C is at idel psossibly a little hot it isnt all that bad.
    They are rated for 85C and still in spec.
    Also whats the voltage for the vcore?
    can you drop it and still run stable?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

There are two versions of the Athlon 1200 cpu (assuming you mean Athlon and not Duron).

One with an OPN A1200AMS3C which uses 9x clock multiplier and a FSB of 266(133MHz).

And one with an OPN A1200AMS3B which uses 12x clock multiplier and a FSB of 200(100MHz).

Both have a max Die temp of 95 degrees C.

Check your multiplier clock and FSB settings to match which ever cpu you are using.

I've built several MSI systems KT4V, KT4AV, and K2MM (via chipset), with AMD processors .. xp1800 to xp2800. Every one of them idled in the 50s. And, the temp didn't go up much under load. As far as the case goes, I've used the same case with ABIT and ASUS boards that idled in the high 30s to low 40s. I even had one MSI box where I changed the processor from an 1800 to a 2800 and the temp didn't go up ... still idled in the 50s ... up to 60+ when the weather got hot.

I will say that these systems were solid, stable, and reliable (as well as hot). I don't overclock. I've usually stayed with the AMD hsf, but have experimented with some "better" HSF and found it wasn't worth the money. I didn't even get 1 deg. C better with the ThermalTake Silent Boost.

Now, I wasn't running a chassis fan in these boxes, so I can't speak to how that would help ... couldn't hurt. But, as some of you have noted, at 60C you're a long way from trouble. Life expectancy of the board/proc may be somewhat reduced, but none of us will keep a box that long anyway.

I don't think you've got a problem.