I think I killed it?

Thread: I think I killed it?

Post I think I killed it?

I have no idea why, but since moving my PC from a friends place it no longer works. I power on and can hear the fans spinning and the hard disks initialising but I don't get anything on the display. When I power on, all the lights on the keyboard stay on, as do all the lights on the case. I have tried removing all the hardware except the video card, CPU and 1 RAM stick (The machine is a Cel 300A on an Abit BH6 board) but still nothing. I even removed the power supply from another machine to try out to eliminate that, but once I replaced this PSU back to the machine it came from (A Celeron 366 on another BH6) It is having the exact same problem and boot up, nothing. Back to the original machine though, I also stripped the entire PC back and rebuilt it from scratch, still a no go. Next I plan to build it on the bench to make sure nothing is shorting out, but this has really got me beat? I remember the PC had this exact same problem around a year ago and it took me about 7 hours to get it back up, though I never figured out what the problem was, I rebuilt the thing about 5 times and just as I was ready to give up, it magically started working? I really don't know, but some help would be appreciated as I don't have the patience to troubleshoot the same thing for another 7 hours.

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar

Remove and reseat the following: video card, CPU, memory stick.
    WWBRD?

I rebuilt the system with just the CPU, RAM and video, and reseated all three when I did, including trying different DIMM slots and DIMM chips. I also tried a different AGP card, though I might try a PCI Video card later today also. I suppose I should also try a different CPU too as the Celeron 300A I have was running overclocked at 450, and I did have to increase the voltage to 2.2v (I have the Cel366 I could try)? Suppose I'll just have to work my way through and eliminate each of the components one at a time. Unless anyone has experienced a similar problem and can point me in the right direction?

Try starting it without a video card and see if you get any post beeps. If so, you still have a good chance of recovering. Try a PCI vid card, as some bioses get flaky with AGP, especially older motherboards, when AGP was first being deployed. As a last resort I always clear the CMOS (find the jumper in the boards's manual) and try booting one last time before declaring the board dead. Try to get it running at proper speed first. The OC settings may be your problem. Another processor is a goodidea to try also. I was never able to get the celeron 300a to run better than 366 with any stability. Let us know how you make out....
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

what about the monitor? do the lights (yellow or green) come at all? or have you tried a differant monitor?
    "I may not like what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Voltaire.

Ok I got it sorted it out in the end though I still haven't determined what it was that I did to fix? The monitor lights would come on green sometimes and stay on, othertimes it would flash amber then go off. I scrapped both of the machines I had and started doing the component shuffle with them. In the end I built the Celeron 300A onto the other BH6 board, with a PCI video card but still had problems. I tried a different CPU as well as different PSU's and even a different monitor. In the end as a last resort I blew into all the connectors to remove any dust that may have been in there, DIMM slots, AGP slot and Slot 1 for the chip. After doing that everything started to work again. I rebuilt the machine back into the box and it's all good to go. At least this time it only took me a couple of hours to sort out instead of 7. Now I have to figure out whats wrong with the other machine (Hopefully its something as simple). Why I always overlook the simplest solutions I'll never know? Cheers for the help though peoples.