No video on boot, Only video when gets into windows???

Thread: No video on boot, Only video when gets into windows???

Question No video on boot, Only video when gets into windows???

I have no idea why i can only get video in windows. I cant even get video for the bios. The monitor light blinks on for a second then its off util windwos boots. It is onboard video but i cant get into the bios so i cant change anything. Any one got any ideas??? Any would be greatly appreciated.

Evan
    Hannibal Smith and Howlin Mad Murdock really do love Mr. T!

What is the brand name and model number of the board? Do you know offhand what kind of video it is (chipset, etc.)?
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

Mainboard is VIA PLE133 u-ATX 601bm. Northbridge is VIA PLE133 (VT8601a). Southbridge is VT82c686b.

Evan

It is onboard video by the way. I have tried clearing the bios, changing all the video settings in windows...nothing.

Thanks

Evan

Are you having this problem on a new system? Or did it just start happening recently on an old system. Also, maybe it's an issue with your monitor in relation to the video modes as DOS mode and Windows video modes differ greatly (I believe....not one of my areas of expertise), their may be something messed up in the monitor that is preventing it from displaying in a DOS mode video setting. Im not sure if this can be checked by maybe opening a Command Prompt window while in Windows and Alt-Enter so the command prompt is set to fullscreen mode (I'm not sure if it uses a true DOS video mode when this is done) as I think that maybe one way of checking this, if you end up with a blank screen you can then Alt-Enter again to get video back. This was just a possible check that popped into my head so I thught I would mention it, but if you do indeed get a blank screen when you try it, then that would help in determining problem. I guess another way would be to just try a different monitor, but hey I always think of the long way of doing things before I think of the obvious.

Any case, it could either help in determining what is wrong, or I could be completely stupid, or just the 4 hours sleep I've had in last 2 days is catching up to me.

-Danyll
    >>I've heard of Winmodems, but a Winvideocard?<<
    Danyll

If we live in an insane world, how can I be normal if I'm sane?
    "I'm reminded of the immortal words of Socrates who said-'I drank what?'"-Val Kilmer (Real Genius)

Can you use f8, pre windows, and get command line?

Do you have a different monitor to try, I had this happen once before and it was the monitor couldnt handle the default refresh rate of the board, (why I have no clue) I think the monitor was failing. It was fine on a different monitor, and the monitor was fine on other mobo's. Just one of those wierd quirks you still sem to run into every now and again....
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Perhaps the bios screen goes by before the monitor powers up? You can try adding this line to your autoexec.bat file "@echo on" (without quotes) and then this line "rem can you read this"
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

i'd lean towards monitor. failing that, try adding another video card.