[RESOLVED] Trouble with AMIBIOS setup program 1992

Thread: [RESOLVED] Trouble with AMIBIOS setup program 1992

Emma

Question Trouble with AMIBIOS setup program 1992

I have a second old 80386DX (40 MHz) PC with following problem:
    It has lost the date and requires to go into AMIBIOS Setup every time PC is switched off.
    Generally AUTO DETECT HARD DISK could find "47 User type".
    As long as the PC was not switched off, I could work with it and start Windows (3.11) correctly.
    However, if switched off, even after having installed a new battery, it looses the date again and requires AMIBIOS set up again.
    Last time this has been done by a friend, I don't know, what he might have "disabled" or "enabled" in the setup menus, but the result is that it says now: NO HARD DISK INSTALLED !
    (AMIBIOS DATE is 11/11/92)
    Can you help me please ??? What can be the reason ? Is the harddisk destroyed ? erased ? Not year 2000 capable ?

I WOULD BE HAPPY TO RECEIVE QUALIFIED ADVICE.

------------------
    Souris

First, to get you going again. When you go into setup now the auto-detect hard drive comes up with "no device found"? Usually the problems you describe would have been resolved with the new battery. If anyone has been inside the case recently, make certain that the HD cables are still secure. Check the data cable at both ends and the power cable to the HD.

If the correct replacement battery was used without results AND your system can't see the hard drive at all anymore you've probably reached a point of no return on that old motherboard. Here in the U.S. you could probably find a replacement system in the Pentium class for $100 or so. I have no idea what the cost of a used system is in Germany. I sell used Celeron's for around $275. Good Luck.

------------------
    Note to self: Re-index brain cells, database corruption present.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Originally posted by Emma:
    Can you help me please ??? What can be the reason ? Is the harddisk destroyed ? erased ? Not year 2000 capable ?

I WOULD BE HAPPY TO RECEIVE QUALIFIED ADVICE.

QUALIFIED??
    Sowulo gave You QUALIFIED answer... I could not even imagine,what someone in Germany can worry about oldely 386PC...Hey,I remember last 486 I was building...it was about 3 years ago...
    Sorry,but I think, Sowulo is right here on 110% . Pentiums are too cheap nowadays...
    There are a lot of companies in Germany,what specialize in buying and selling used PCs.
    You can buy used Pentium PC for close to nothing.

Anyways,here is my thoughts regarding Your problem. If motherboard stil can autodetect hardrive correctly - no problem. If no - probably either ISA IDE controller either Hard drive itself is bad. May be also bad cable or connector...
    About battery problem... may be battery jumper isn't set correctly (should be in the middle position 2-3) on 4-pin connector near battery. Or old battery could leak and have destroyed some of solders on PCB. Check it out...
    Good luck!