[RESOLVED] System hangs after IDE check. Halts before DMI Pooling?

Thread: [RESOLVED] System hangs after IDE check. Halts before DMI Pooling?

Captain Pecan

Resolved [RESOLVED] System hangs after IDE check. Halts before DMI Pooling?

I'm trying to put an Intel Celeron 400A on a Techram P6PRO-A5, with 64 mb pc133. All Components are new and the system has never been booted before. This is my first attempt at a slot 1 configuration. Presently I'm trying to get the system booted outside the tower, with only a video card and ram.

Problem is... the system hangs just after it initializes the IDE devices. It didn't move any further even when I changed "Halt on" to none. Even though the ram check seems to work perfect, I have swapped it out with pc66, and pc100.. but to no avail. This problem seems to be some sort of bios problem, as POST doesnt indicate any problem. I have tried a different video card, but not no change.

But heres the funny part, I am running the board presently at a 66mhz bus speed and a 3X multiplier... yet it still registers as 400 mhz... no matter what I change the clock multiplier to, or the bus speed to, it still shows 400 mhz. This is the first time I've encountered this problem.

I even tried swapping out the motherboard, I used a different "new" board of the same model and brand... using the same processor.. And It still did the same thing....

I'm sorta lost here, can someone give me any suggestions... short of dynamite...

I'm toying with the idea of a bad cpu... or incompatible components, but the components should be compatible by specs, and a bad cpu just doesn't happen often enough to be that much of a concern...

What do I do next... Please HELP!

idfx

What kind of hard drive? I'm having a similar problem with an IBM 13.5 GB Deskstar22GXP, but I'm pretty sure it's due to an old ('96) bios on an old board. Have you set up in CMOS to tell it what drives it has, or do you have it autodetect every boot?
    Also, check what UDMA/bus modes you may have enabled.

( ... CMOS is the answer, my son... )

Good luck.

------------------
    yrs,
    in_sanity,

idfx