Msgsvr32 (not responding)

Thread: Msgsvr32 (not responding)

Post Msgsvr32 (not responding)

An AMD Athlon 800 on an MSI board runing Windows 98 SE. It works well using the onboard sound chipset, but my customer wants to use a 4 channel CMI 8738 sound card.

It was working initially for a couple of days, but with occassional lockups. Then after changing some of the TCP settings, on every boot up Windows just sits there flickering the hour glass mouse pointer - no icons on the desktop yet. If you press CTRL-ALT-DEL task manager shows msgsrv32 (not responding). You can end this task, and then Windows carries on as usual.

It seems to be linked to the sound card, since when its removed the system works normally. I've tried updated sound drivers and re-installing Windows over itself, but the same thing happens when the sound card is in the system.

nfawcett

Lightbulb

I found this on Microsofts knowledge base. Maybe this might help.

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../q169/9/87.asp

Thanks. I'll give that I try. But that article seems to apply only to Windows 95.

Also, the program that stops responding is msgsrv32 - not msgsvr32 as I said in my original post.

Any more suggestions?? I think this may be an issue with CMI sound cards. I remember reading something about it, but can't remember where.