Recovering A Corrupt Award Bios

Thread: Recovering A Corrupt Award Bios

Unhappy Recovering A Corrupt Award Bios

This is an article posted on the Random Site Blurbs.
    Recovering A Corrupt Award Bios http://www.windrivers.com/identity/m...rdrecover.htm.

My problem is that my machine does NOT boot up. Is there anything that can be done to recover my Award BIOS.

Mike

Thumbs down

Maybe somebody else knows something better, but because I don't have a chip burner, I've always had to return the BIOS to the manufacturer for a replacement. I've heard of some motherboard manufacturer's (like Epox) providing a free replacement. And my motto is: There's nothing cheaper than free! Ya never know unless ya ask...
    Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...

Steve is right. You better start calling around. Your chip is messed up. Get a new one from the old factory.

Sorry, I don't think there is any other way.

There's always the hot-swapping option but you need a known good BIOS chip to pull that one off.
    Search these forums for posts by Ruslan. He recently posted instructions for using BIOS chips from different boards to recover from a bad flash....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

I have basically the same problem. bios = dead. I've looked around for a place locally that can do it an have been out of luck. The board is a giga-byte ga-686bx, i've emailed giga-byte a few times about this and get no reply. So i've asked myself, what do you do when the company who makes the board doesn't help? Well badflash.com may be of some help to you folks. They'll reflash your bios, I'd really like to find a canadian based company that does bios flashes though, I have bad luck when sending my stuff down south If anyone knows of such a company please let me know

Dave

Wink

Sometimes the only way to handle a corrupt bios is to just GIVE it the money.

Lee_Nover

It happened to me and there was my reason to upgrade to a new MOBO. Use it as a door stop.

Thumbs up

BADFLASH.COM

They are great folks
    on tonights menu - special fried bios

Thumbs up

Well thank you all for the information. I contacted Badflash.com and getting a new chip will cost more money then I paid for the motherboard. So now I got a slightly used door stopper.
    Unless any of you folk want it. It is a MSI MS 6163 ver 2. I would mail it to anybody who want it.

Mike

If you send Jack at badflash.com your chip he will reprogram it for under $16. Just tell him Rocinante sent you.
    on tonights menu - special fried bios

Originally posted by Sowulo:
    There's always the hot-swapping option but you need a known good BIOS chip to pull that one off.
    Search these forums for posts by Ruslan. He recently posted instructions for using BIOS chips from different boards to recover from a bad flash....
    Here is my topic : http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...c&f=1&t=000976

Just a little addition. I found one minor bug
    (probably well-known,though)in "uniflash"
    util mentioned by Condor in that topic.
    Since that util was written using Turbo
    Pascal,that utility refuses to work on fast PCs (above iP200, well-known runtime error 200). I found special patch correcting that bug. Let me know, if someone needed that patch.

About door stopper... Well, I can reprogramm Your BIOS chip for free (only shipping costs). You can just buy me a beer next time,when I will be in Canada (I hope this year,BTW).
    LoL,if whole world started giving me for free motherboards with just only incorrectly flashed BIOS chips,I would be rich and famous!
    Seriously saying, sending MoBo with bad flash into recycled bin is always last resort. Try my suggestions fisrt.

Thumbs up

Well, first the first. If you update your BIOS with another NEW version and the PC not BOOT again... mmmm...

Check your file with the model of you mobo.
    If your file is correct, find the older version and reflash.
    To reflash in your case, first check your PC really not DEAD. To this, uninstall all expansion card, HDD, etc, but not uninstall proccesor, memory and floppy. Next install one ISA VGA card (NOT PCI) and turn on your system. If you canīt see anything in your monitor, well, try your memory and processor in another PC, verify your settings on mobo for your processor (is possible reduce your processor speed to try your processor function). If you canīt see nothing, your BIOS boot code is dramaged (only chance of repair this is a warm flash (in AMI case comprobated it ) or go for your manufactured mobo to replace your BIOS chip . The BIOS boot code only support ISA card in the system (one video card and eventually one I/O card for boot on floppy disk). To repair your BIOS with the BIOS Boot Code in case of AMI, copy in the floppy disk the file with your BIOS and rename it with the name AMIBOOT.ROM . Run your system and pray for the update. We finish the process, the system say "beeep beeep beeep beeep", turn off, install PCI video card and turn on. In the best case, your PC boot normally. In the case of Award the BOOT Block code is better, permit boot only MS-DOS in realmode. The step for flash the BIOS is in normal mode.
    The process can be used without VGA ISA card (but not possible see anything)