Future of Computer Techs and Disposable Computers

Thread: Future of Computer Techs and Disposable Computers

Unhappy Future of Computer Techs and Disposable Computers

Hello
    I am noticing an influx of computers into my store that are either too expensive to fix (mainboard in proprietary system, bad OEM pwr sup) or the parts cost too much from the OEM's. The trend seems to be towards throwaway systems cheaply made and expensive to fix. And a store-built computer attracts less and less customers due to 300.00 pc's.

This is like the scenario where I can fix a 1963 vintage reel to reel tape deck easier than the latest boom box. Televisions became the same way remember? Today the once needed TV repairman is a relic.

What will be the future of pc technicians? Will it be in troubleshooting users' software (only a cajillion programs out there) or networking them?
    Thanks
    Ken

When somebody does bring one of these econo-boxes to your shop, you can explain to them that it will cost a lot to fix it and they may be better off buying a new machine all together. It's getting to the point now where you don't need to be a techno genius to buy a computer, nowadays they're sold with flashy advertising and gimicks, and people who don't know any better are buying these things. Let your customer make the decision, some of them realize after a while that quality is more important than a rock bottom price. Cater to those people, if you try to go after the average joe, cheap will be the order of the day and you will lose every time to the big box stores selling the junk.

This scenario leaves me to cater to just the business customers or work in house for a business . But won't most businesses buy a slew of these throwaway pc's and decide to fling vs. fix?

But back to my point; will pc's go the way of televisions? What will my job be like if I am not needed to fix computer system units when they go down?

My shop caters to the SOHO market. We are contemplating some strategies but are reluctant to do onsite service. Besides networking businesses or teaching classes what are we to do?

I was wondering the same thing when I posted the following topic 2 years ago.

<a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=000136&p=" target="_blank">http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=000136&p=</a>

After two years almost nothing has changed. Nothing is improved and nothing is worse. Let's just hope it stays that way although I'm not so optimistic about it.

Maybe Scott should put a link to this topic of yours in the WinDrivers homepage as this week's Techie Topic.
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

The nature of the job may change and evolve as time goes on, but there will always be a need for computer techs. Sure disposable machines are prevelant. But what happens when customer joe orders a new disposable system but wants his hard drive copied from his old disposable system.

Or Joe orders a new disposable computer and decides he'd like to get the old work working and have the two networked and sharing the internet.

And a lot of times, people do want they're crappy disposable computers fixed. I've tried to explain to many people how it would be more cost effective to just build a new system instead of replacing the propriatary motherboard and power supply but they insist that I get their crappy packard bell / emachines / compaq presario back up and running even if it costs almost as much as a new system with twice the punch.

Computers and technology is always evolving and as long as we aren't rigid and unwilling to learn a new skill within our field, there will always be jobs out there. The good knowledgable, flexible techs will remain and make a solid living.

There will always be people who want custom systems. Gamers will not accept an off the shelf, proprietary system like that because the need the performance and upgrade-ability. Otherwise the consoles would have replaced computers long ago. And there are a lot of gamers out there. Gamers are still a MAJOR driving force in this idustry and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
    The Dragon has left the building.

As long as there is a Microsoft, there will be a need for some one to patiently fix computers and reload..... The hardware bolluxes much less than the software, in my humble experience...

Go for the onsite networking. But dont just go fix the network and leave. Be a complete solution for them. Develop relationships with people with other skills.

My company that does onsite networking, pc sales and service has found alot of success by having an HP certified printer tech, relationship with local ISP, and someone that does Cat5 cableing. Look at it more like "providing solutions" and not just "fixing computers". Go after small businesses like Dentists, Lawyers, Accountants, Title and Mortage Companys, and Chiropractors. These offices use Windows based programs that are easy to install and maintain as long as you know how to map a drive. Most paralegals, and receptionists have not a clue. If you can solve problems for them and show patience they will be loyal and call you for every little problem. And it's all billable time....

Thats the biggest fear of most smaller computer stores. They make money off of selling hardware. But 70% of revenue is probably created thru pc repair because of it just being 100% profit. My manager was always worried that users would just start buying a new computer before worrying to much about there older one (just scraping the older one and killing the rest). Most store's cant stay afloat with cut throat competition as it is.

Being a complete solution provider (a consultant who can implement anything for a good price) is where the money is at. A local consultant / solution provider did all there buisness thru us and built many Citrix servers and hundreds of desktops a year. They made there money by settin up whatever a company wants. And giving them there assurance they will be there within 1 hour to fix there server if it goes down. Like mentioned, building a relationship, and being there for the company is gonna be a buisness. Have half a dozen or so people and get clients, build them there networks and servers and desktop computers, resell them to them for a lil more and then charge them a flat monthly rate for ensuring server uptime and being there if there network goes down. Charge 199$-299 a month. Get a couple dozen clients and you can make a successfull living in life. All you have to do is manage multiple servers.
    Last edited by factory81; February 2nd, 2003 at 12:03 AM.
    i got all kinds of shiiiiiiiii to yap about.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    I have no problem with the throwaway computers. I have never wanted to build computers for sale- very little profit in it. The cheaper they make new computers the more problems they are going to have. I repair what is worth it, save data if it isn't, and charge for helping them buy a better quality computer. I also make money installing, setting up backup devices and software. Once a person has had their hard drive fried while using a 70watt power supply they are willing to pay to prevent it from happening again. I think many people see computers like televisions- turn them on and they run for 7 years. I have tried to tell people in advance what can happen if they buy , say , an E-Machine, but everyone is so smart they are going to get the best "deal". Remember the t.v. ad "Pay me now, or pay me later" I have made more money repairing e-machines the last three years than I could have made building and selling 100 new computers. Also, as long as Microsoft continues to change their software people will always need assistance with it.
    My attitude: Make them to sell for 199.00. Sell billions. More work for me.

IMHO as long as there will be Hardware, software and users there will be need for PC-tech.
    It goes like this:
    Unreliable OS + Crappy Hardware + Stupid Users = Need for PC TEch.

I think that even when two parts off you can get the same result .

I am into this business for the last 10 years or so - I always have more job on my hands.

BUT - if hell brake loose - you can sell Hotdogs.

Thats it,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Dumb users do fuel the industry, but companies are targeting there software to appeal to the most dumb user. And then I believe XP is a extension of 2K, a Microsoft propoganda. They wanted there premiere home user OS to finally be based on NT and have a NTFS file system. Windows 2000 almost did it, but its marketing was directed towards buisness's. It made a fine daily OS for 95% of its users. XP just was Microsofts way of makin it easier for people to use PC's. I do believe XP can be idiot proof,.
    i got all kinds of shiiiiiiiii to yap about.

Throw away PC's is not a good thing!!!!

We have enough toxic waste and landfill problems as it is.

We got to get over this throw away mentality.

If recycling pc's is made mandatory, then I'm all for the disposable pc.

Eventually, P.C.'s may become free. May be not.

But, there will always be service charges for repair, tutoring, and hosting LAN parties at your business. There are ways of still making some money on stuff like this.

I believe there will always be a need for computer technicians
    perhaps not in the vein of the past 10 years. Take for example
    home automation..the pc will be the forefront of performing various tasks..Learning networking and keeping up on latest technology is a definite advantage.