[RESOLVED] This Is A Tough One

Thread: [RESOLVED] This Is A Tough One

plantboydude

Resolved [RESOLVED] This Is A Tough One

Hello everybody,
    I have got a problem that I just cannot seem to work out a solution for, here it is.
    First Computer Specs
    PIII 650e
    128Mb Mem (PC100)
    IBM DJNA 377200 20.1 GB ATA66
    Used onboard VGA and Nvidia TNT
    32x Pioneer CD-ROM
    November last year I purchased an Abit SH6 Slot1 815 Mobo, this was because I sold my Gigabyte 6BXE 440BX Mobo. To make sure I would have no problems I formatted my IBM DJNA 377200 and did a clean install of Win98 Sec ED, let the problems begin.
    Problem 1: On first reboot in Win98 installation computer would fail to initialize Bios (just blank screen no beeps). Once power cable is pulled out then it would reboot, however CPU settings (speed, FSB, etc) would be incorrect.
    Problem 2: After Win98 installation and the first time you enter Windows the system would lock-up (have hit reset).
    Problem 3: After Intel INF Util, Intel Ultra ATA Storage driver, and HPT drivers were installed computer would lock-up when doing Defrag, Browsing Web, and Virus Scanning, basically anything hard disk intensive.
    Problem 4: Sometimes system fails to initialize (like problem 1) when minor settings are changed in the Bios and after a general reboot of the system.
    The funny thing is, that everything seems stable with a Samsung 1GB Hard Drive (no problems 1-4). However I still sent the Mobo back to my supplier, they tested it, found nothing wrong and sent it back to me. A friend then told me he had a similar problem, he narrowed it down to the IBM drive (same drive as me). Apparently it had problems with ATA66 and the solution was to slave a CD drive so ATA66 would not be used.
    This did not solve my problem. So I got in contact with IBM, after they could not replicate my problem they sent me a Deskstar 75GXP 30.7Gb (very nice of them). However I still have the same friggin problems.
    Things I have done trying to solve problem: updated Bios (latest version), Swapped every component of computer (including PSU), installed latest Intel INF Util and ATA Storage Driver, and updated the HPT370 driver. Even tried to install WinMe, it crashed during installation.
    I have not been able to get to Abit about this situation, as their support is terrible.
    If anybody could help I would be very grateful.
    Thanks
    Ben

3fingersalute

Have you tried a different power supply?

Or maybe a different IDE cable?

I have heard of people using software utilities to reduce their ATA-66 to ATA-33 in situations where they thought it was a problem. Don't know off the top of my head where you find one, but it's another thought. You could also use an ATA-33 cable to force it down.
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

3fingersalute

Most HD manufacturer's have a utility avaiable on their website for download that will allow you to chose ATA-66 or ATA-33

Darren Wilson

Info on changing UDMA modes

IBM -(Windows Based Utility) http://service.boulder.ibm.com/stora...ol-install.exe

Maxtor - http://www.maxtor.com/products/diamo...res/21009.html

Quantum - http://www.maxtor.com/Quantum/suppor...e/softmenu.htm

Seagate - http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/di...ra_ata100.html
    Seagate Utility - ftp://ftp.seagate.com/techsuppt/seagate_utils/uata100d.exe

Western Digital - http://www.westerndigital.com/servic...ls/dlgudma.zip

i think it is a ram problem but if you already switch ram out i dont know try swaping out with known good ram and reinstall win98
    Impounded impressions of aggressive democracy see lil need to help poverty/
    A land of freedom? Of wealth? Of justice?
    I fear not for me, but for my children to wake up and see, that I am nothing but a slave
    In modern society

plantboydude

Thanks all for your replies. I have tried all of the possible fixes you have mentioned.
    I used IBM's ATA-Switch utility which forced the drive to run ATA33.
    No luck
    Thanks
    Ben

I suspect it's a compatability problem between the HPT370 controller and the hard drive. Do you have an IDE controller card handy to try with? Or you could try a different hard drive. Here's a list of compatible devices. http://www.highpoint-tech.com/370dcl.htm

plantboydude

First drive was an IBM DJNA-37200 (ATA 66 7200)
    The swapped drive is a IBM DTLA-307030 (ATA100)
    Both are in the list.
    Thanks for trying to help.
    Ben

If everyhting worked okay with a 1 gig drive then I would have to say that the problem is related to - the drives partition, support in the BIOS or a bad ata-100 cable - try replacing the cable - or try a different drive manufacturer.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

I was having a problem with a Maxtor 40 GB on My highpoint 370 BE6 II. After all attempts to resolve issue failed, techs at maxtor told me that the highpoint drivers(highpoint 366 at the time) did not work with the maxtor or ibm drives of higher capacity. Later versions of bios did fix he problem but that did not help me then. Hope it helps
    Jim
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

plantboydude

Question

I have just learnt that this Mobo does not have a HPT370 controller on it, but for some some reason Abit included the Driver on the CD.
    Anyway I have done a fresh install of Win98 SED and the latest Intel INF Util + Intel ATA Storage Driver, and changed the cable to ATA33.
    Still got the problem.
    I thinking there must be a problem with the controller, maybe its defective. Who knows?
    Cheers