[RESOLVED] Keyboard and BIOS problem

Thread: [RESOLVED] Keyboard and BIOS problem

Sweet PC

Resolved [RESOLVED] Keyboard and BIOS problem

When I boot, an error message appear saying:" No Keyboard or no keyboard is not present". I've tested to reinstall the keyboard (unplug-replug) and even changing the keyboard and this message appear. I canot do anything even enter in the BIOS utility.

NEED HELP!

Sweet PC

Please help me! I REALLY need help!

iamtheman

Well could be a bad PS2 port. But something to try would be to clear the CMOS and boot up. Maybe you can get into your BIOS then.

------------------
    Born to Network

Sweet PC

Well......I've tried unplugging the battery but the same problem occur. Another solution? How can i know that my PS2 ports are broken?

try the keyboard on a working pc...

try a working keyboard on the broken pc...

try a usb keyboard on it...

pull the keyboard off of the pc you are posting with... it works and put it on the pc with the problem...

if its an older pc with an AT keyboard port, try an AT to Ps2 adapter....

just some food for thought..

oh, and reboot! keyboards ain't hot swappable..

------------------
    "What does it all mean, Dr. Holmes?"
    "Ahh, I can not tell. I have no data."

[This message has been edited by willieray (edited February 12, 2001).]
    "What does it all mean, Dr. Holmes?"
    "Ahh, I can not tell. I have no data."

"Psssst...hey you...don't tell anyone i told you, but
    -l ds:0100 2 1 12 gets you FAT."

Sweet PC

Yeah but....i didnt find an USB keyboard! I've tried too to put it on a new PC. Maybe it's the m,otherboard?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet PC:
    When I boot, an error message appear saying:" No Keyboard or no keyboard is not present". I've tested to reinstall the keyboard (unplug-replug) and even changing the keyboard and this message appear. I canot do anything even enter in the BIOS utility.
    </font>
    Sorry, but You probably have bad MotherBoard.
    Usually it happens,when keyboard is plugged in while power supply is on.
    By the way, it's AT or ATX? What can You say about model number/manufacturer?
    Right now I have in repair work Soltek LX AT MoBo with exactly same failure - and I found, what I/O chip (that chip also content keyboard controller) was fried and needs to be replaced.

First thing You should to check is keyboard fuses using Ohm-meter (multimeter), located near keyboard connector. They may looks like
    ordinary resistor (with 0 Ohm resistance,though) or looks like filter coils. Usually marked as F1,F2 and so on... up to F5 or L1...L5 (5 pins - 5 resistors, some of them may be absent - usually keyboard uses only 4 pin).
    Check them - they all should have zero resistance. If one of them is broken - than You're lucky, simply replace it and Your problem will be solved. Be carefull,though - filter capacitors are also soldered near connecter.
    If no, sorry, but You have faulty keyboard controller, usually located on the edge of MoBo near PCI slots.
    By the way, please, post Your I/O chip model.

------------------
    Ruslan Khyzha