Win ME - no web pages, no errors

Thread: Win ME - no web pages, no errors

Win ME - no web pages, no errors

Hi folks. This one has me stumped, so I thought I would consult the experts.

This is a laptop with Win ME. First, it was infected with the Bagle virus. I have successfully removed that. Now when I try to go to a web page, it just sits there. The progress bar at the bottom will slowly move, but never loads a page. It does read "web site found. Waiting for reply" (I have tried this with a modem and a direct LAN connection and get the same result).

I can ping and traceroute successfully, just can't load any page.

Here are the things I have tried:

Uninstalling and reinstalling all networking components.
    Reinstalling Windows ME (over itself)
    Re-scanning with virus scanner.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch - back to my coffee...
    "It is very dark here. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

You could try rebuilding the tcp/ip stack. Do you get an error at all? It could also be a hijack. Have you tried spybot or adaware?
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Yah, I ran both on it, didn't find much. How do you rebuid the TCP-IP stack?

I believe it's fairly similiar to win98 ( it's been awhile )

1) in control panel networking remove all protocols and services. DO NOT RESTART

2) In add/remove programs windows setup Remove dial up networking. DO NOT RESTART

3) In Regedit search for and delete any/all reference to winsock2 restart computer

4) When you finish booting in add/remove programs windows setup reinstall dial up networking

5) If you are still having problems do it again this time removing all things in networking (step 1 above )

IF you don't know what regedit is you may not want to do this.... Regedit will edit the registry and you can do alot of damage if you mess with your registry. IF you still want to try and get it going.... Regedit is accessed by going to start run

then type "regedit" without the quotes...

This is not a guarantee fix and depending on what else is going on may lead to other things....

OK, I did all that. It is still doing the same thing. It will eventually bring up a "page cannot be displayed" message.

I have ran Adaware and Spybot on this, and removed all they found. There was another hijaaker remover that I used once, but I cannot remember the name. It was written specifically to remove a certain hijaaker, but they added some more to it. Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks,

A

Have you tried reinstalling IE? Or maybe a different browser? Opera, mozilla, or netscape?

Your Winsock 2 maybe corrupted Give this a try http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/ps.../5289.psc.html

or download this and it will do it automatically
    Winsock2 Fix
    http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html

and/or
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

LSP-Fix is a free utility to repair a specific type of problem associated with certain Internet software. This type of software is known as a Layered Service Provider or LSP, a piece of software that can be inserted into the Windows TCP/IP handler like a link in a chain. However, due to bugs in the LSP software or deletion of the software, this chain can get broken, rendering the user unable to access the Internet.
    Last edited by natcom; April 26th, 2004 at 03:57 PM.

OK, I downloaded the Winsock fix program, saved it to my desktop. When I tried to run, it started, then gave me this blue screen:

An error has occurred:

blah blah

File name: NDISFILT(01) + 00002D94 Error : 0E : 0028 : C145F6a4

Does that mean anything to anyone?

Thanks,

A

did you download Winsock repair utility designed for Windows 98, 98SE, and ME ?

Yep, I did that. I am now getting a different problem. When I enter an address, I get the box "internet explorer could not open the search page" when I click OK at the bottom of the screen it says "downloading from site :res://c:\windows\system\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm

I did a search and found some other things to try. Right now I am running the Symantec trojan.Qhosts remover. I will post my results.

Thanks,

A

OK, the symantec removal tool found nothing. I found yet another Winsock fixer program. I downloaded and ran it. Now I am back where I started. IE just reads "opening page", the status bar creeps forward, but nothing ever shows up.

I really need help!

A

what antivirus is on this pc? I had a problem like this when I uninstalled norton av 2003 after it expired. had to reinstall it and run their removal program, rnav2003, from symantecs website before it returned to normal. guess it creamed something in networking when it was uninstalled the first time.
    just a thought.
    "You've been livin' on the razor's edge, since you began to shave...
    Make sure you live, you're a long time dead, cradle to the grave"-Motorhead

Very strange, this pc...

It had remnants of Norton Anti-virus 2001, and Internet Security 2002. Both of them were not running (and would not start); I guess they were hosed by the bagle virus that was on it previously. Anyway, I went ahead and uninstalled both, rebooted. Now web pages pop up like they are supposed to.

That was the last thing in the world I would have tried.

Thanks everyone for the help/posts.

A

Lightbulb

I have had a similar problem in Windows ME. I am connected to a wireless network that was working perfectly yesterday. Today, I have the network and internet still, but when I try to load ANY site with ANY protocol, in either Internet Explorer 6, Opera 6.03, WS_FTP 8.0 Pro, AceFTP 3.5 Pro, or other sites, it takes forever to connect to the site in the first place, and then gets stuck at Waiting for Reply... and the status bar (blue) crawls across, and then after a long time finally gives me a page not found error (the Windows kind, not a server 404). Sometimes if I repeatedly keep hitting enter in the address box after typing an address, it will manage to load a tiny part of the page (ex.: I did this for http://www.computing.net, and the little text-box for the search showed up. Nothing else, not even the "Search" button, just the text box). Really would like this fixed...

Quote Originally Posted by petteyg359
    I have had a similar problem in Windows ME. I am connected to a wireless network that was working perfectly yesterday. Today, I have the network and internet still, but when I try to load ANY site with ANY protocol, in either Internet Explorer 6, Opera 6.03, WS_FTP 8.0 Pro, AceFTP 3.5 Pro, or other sites, it takes forever to connect to the site in the first place, and then gets stuck at Waiting for Reply... and the status bar (blue) crawls across, and then after a long time finally gives me a page not found error (the Windows kind, not a server 404). Sometimes if I repeatedly keep hitting enter in the address box after typing an address, it will manage to load a tiny part of the page (ex.: I did this for http://www.computing.net, and the little text-box for the search showed up. Nothing else, not even the "Search" button, just the text box). Really would like this fixed...
    Welcome to windrivers petteyg359.

In future could you please start your own thread as your problem may have nothing to do with what went on in this thread.

Have you tried the fixes described in this thread?
    What trouble shooting have you done? What windows?
    Have you checked for spyware?
    Did you uninstall anything or install anything after which your internet quit on you?
    What internet connection do you have?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."