W2K Metabase

Thread: W2K Metabase

Exclamation W2K Metabase

We have a failing w2K box and need to transfere the metabase and data to a new box

I have not worked with moving a metabase yet and would like to know if the cid must be copied to the new machine or can we just create a new one on the new box? We just lost our W2K admin so it has not been fun!.

The box has over 300 users so we can not just scap and rebuild all users.

Any links to MS's site would be helpful.

Tks for help.
    DNRC- let the new world begin.

Have you tried Norton Ghost? It is, IMHO, one of the best programs out there to copy entire hard drives.

Of course, I'm not sure what a CID is, so if what I'm saying has no relevence, just ignore me...I'm used to it. *Sniff*
    Please insert volume 'BRAIN' and press any key to continue.

/me often wonders why there isn't a minimum IQ requirement to use a computer.

You need to be more specific as to what you are trying to do. As well, offer more information about the scenario. How many DC's are in this Domain. The server that is about to die, what role does it play, is it a Global Catalog Server?

As far as a CID, I presume that you mean a SID (Security IDentifier) or GUID (Global Unique IDentifier) for the Machine.

I think your company may need to hire someone to do this, or send you to school, one of those crash MCSE courses on AD. There is a lot to understand, of which I can’t help you with, being that I don’t know the ins and outs either.

Hopefully someone else can offer more to this…

Try this for some pointers, but I don't know if it is all that you will need...

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q240363" target="_blank">HOW TO: Use the Backup Program to Back Up and Restore the System State in Windows 2000 (Q240363)</a>

Make sure you know how your harddrives are set up as well. Imaging programs don't like win2k's dynamic disks for some reason.
    Another thought, are you moving the metabase to a currently running server, or are you moving it to a new machine?
    <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=EN-US&pr=kbinfo&" target="_blank">http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=EN-US&pr=kbinfo&</a>
    Search: Windows 2000
    with the keywords: move fist domain controller
    Hope that helps.
    The truth is out there, you just need to decrypt it.