Windows 2000 included BackUP Software - Some backup concept questions - read me

Thread: Windows 2000 included BackUP Software - Some backup concept questions - read me

Exclamation Windows 2000 included BackUP Software - Some backup concept questions - read me

I am trying to use the BackUP software the is packaged with W2K, however, I am having lots of problems. One, it doesn't seem to let me write over media, I have a tape drive dds3. Are you usually allowed to write over tape media? I want to rotate the tapes weekly for data, and do system backups on weekends. And what is the function of media pools. Hopefully someone can help me out here. Sorry I have to ask so many questions, no one knowledgeable enough to learn from, except all you! haha. So maybe someone can walk me through backing up on 2000 Server to a tape drive, data on weekdays, system on weekends. The concepts really, I have it down, but something seems to be wrong unless it is the software. I have tried to test several times backups, very first time it worked, on newly loaded server, however, now, it backs up, but then on restore, as it starts to do it the BackUP program just closes, the window is just gone. Should I uninstall the remote storage component of windows and reinstall?

Thanks all!

I would use the software that came with the drive, it is normally more configurable and should have the option to overwrite old files by the same name. If I needed two different types of backup jobs, i.e. data Monday - Friday and system on weekends, I would set up two backup jobs and schedule them accordingly.
    Those who do not know, are lost...

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by tbettend:
    <strong>I have a tape drive dds3. Are you usually allowed to write over tape media?...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">First of all what is the drive Model/Make (I saw lots of problems reguarding tape drives Driver under Win2K).
    Second - choose Replace on the "Media select" dialoge box.

Good Luck
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence