Require Logon for Windows 98

Thread: Require Logon for Windows 98

Post Require Logon for Windows 98

I know theres a way to require Logon for Windows 98, I forgot how to do it, is there something in the registry or Poledit. Thanks

Win98 has no true security, even if you enable the login screen, they can just type in a new user name or hit 'cancel'. This won't allow them to login to a network (perhaps) but you can't deny them access to the machine itself with just Win98.
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

Originally posted by TechStar:
    I know theres a way to require Logon for Windows 98, I forgot how to do it, is there something in the registry or Poledit. Thanks
    You need to enable a mandatory login policy. Although there is no ABSOLUTE security in Windows 98 thought. Your best bet is applying a policy blocking key items in Windows like control panel, start button, etc. www.microsoft.com/technet
    do a search for Windows 98 police editors using the above URL.
    Good Luck,

Network Administrator
    MCSE
    http://www.dcinh.com

Download pcaccelerator or tweak ui for some security.
    or set a bios passwaord.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

This works great with a Novell or an NT Network logon, I haven't tried it on a stand alone.

Open Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\Login

Then select Edit, New, DWORD Value,

Enter MustBeValidated

Value data: 1

Base: Hexadecimal

Exit Regedit
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

Use tweekui or setup a password in the bios. If you are really interested in security, you may want to switch to Win 2000.
    <a href="http://www.el-mono.com" target="_blank">www.el-mono.com</a>

Try this link. This program works great.BootLocker
    If life is a bitch, then what is death? I believe that I will take the bitch...

I know you can force a NT/Novell logon like MIFUIC told... but if you don't have a like server you can't force the Win98 logon, as you can always choose a new creative name to login - you're not restricted to a list of usernames

Originally posted by TechStar:
    Right click on Network Neighborhood, click on properties, and make sure Microsoft Family Logon is installed, then change Primary logon to Family Logon. If it isn't installed, click on add, client, microsoft, famly logon. You can also set logon to Microsoft networks.

Again, when user sees this box on boot up, they can simply hit esc or cancel to bypass, but I've noticed a lot of users are to used to being forced to put in passwords they won't ever figure that out.