[RESOLVED] Win98SE 0E Exception @ shutdown

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win98SE 0E Exception @ shutdown

rhardy

Exclamation Win98SE 0E Exception @ shutdown

I'm trying to debug a persistent shutdown problem with Windows 98SE. I have built a software distribution from a fresh install (4th rebuild attempt on SE). I have ghosted the same distribution to several machines. The machines have completely different hardware in them. After correctly re-configuring each system and checking everything I can think of I still get the following when selecting shutdown from the start menu:
    "A fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:C000BD1D in VXD VMM(01) + 0000AD1D"

The message is identical on all machines at all times. The machine among other things have different amounts of memory.

Here is the strange part:
    -A shutdown selected via Start->Shutdown->Shutdown gives a 0E exception 90% of time.
    -Restart works fine.
    -Logging off and then selecting shutdown from the CTRL ALT DEL menu ALWAYS works fine! (No exceptions are generated.)

Anyone have any ideas? I have the shutdown "supplement" installed. SFC indicates no data corruption.

bummer

Try disabled in bios power management. I have problems with some HP Vectra on this situation. We push ghost image to workstation from server. Last time, we encountered the whole batch with 98se cause OE exception error. Call MS,support requested to turn off power management in bios. and that's fix the problem. He indicated sometimes, PC instead of shutdown, it go into suspend mode. Right now, I waiting for HP patch for Bios flash to correct this problem. Hope this give you some idea.

rhardy

Cool

I think Win98SE has problems talking with most BIOSes. I'm not 100% sure of the significance of it but putting a checkmark in this box made the machines shutdown properly.

Device Manager->System->Plug and Play BIOS
    "Disable NVRAM/ESCD Updates"

We also has PCI steering disabled but that didn't seem to make much difference.

rhardy

Unhappy

Doh! Why can't MS release an operating system that works?
    Win98SE shuts down properly 100% of the time if one logs off then shuts down. It intermitently hangs on "Windows is shuting down..." if one goes straight to shutdown from the start menu. I've tried all sorts of things to find the problem... I've got all the latest drivers and the latest shutdown patch... PCI Steering & the NVRAM updates are disabled.... It seems to be hardware independent (happens on vastly different machines w/ same software.)
    Ideas anyone?

goof ball

Cool

if you want perfect os get rid of all the different hardware makers and leave only 1 machine we all can use

Shinma

You may want to use the patch released by Microsoft regarding shutdown problems specifically for Windows98 SE. That may solve your problem. Good luck.

Shinma

Apologies, please disregard previous. You were generous to Microsoft and called it, "supplement".

EzLam

I have a batch file to fix the vxd problem, if you have Win98 SE, email me I will send it to you.

[email protected] http://EzLam.friendpages.com

Is this in a network environment? Are you connecting to a Novell box? If so, you need to be using Novell Client 3.10 with SP2 applied. I've found that after the Shutdown Supplement is applied, the PC still will not shut down until the Novell Client is upgraded to 3.10 with SP 2. The Novell Client can be found at http://www.novell.com/download/, and SP2 for the client can be found at http://support.novell.com/misc/patlst.htm#client.

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE

R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.

rhardy

Question

98SE is just screwy... After a Superdat update of VShield, it shutdown properly for about a week. Yesterday it hung at shutdown (with no error message) and today it shutdown fine. The batch file mentioned by one of the posters above loads 7 vxds into vmm32 most of which are not currently in \windows\system\vmm32 on my system. The poster claims that this has fixed all sorts of problems for him on 20 different machines. Anyone know why this would help or where I can get information on what the 7 vxd the poster lists actually do?
    I really want to know why those extra vxds would make any difference...

rhardy

Oh, BTW this is a straight Win98SE TCP/IP stack. No other protocols loaded. No Novell.
    Linux Samba server. No NT machines.

Menace

Question

Just a quick question that you have probably already thought of but may be worth mentioning.

Have you disabled fast shutdown in the System Information utility?

the seven files are virtual device drivers
    and affect the mouse and some display
    work and other areas.they are on your w98
    disk but do not transfer when loading os.
    the patch loads them for you.

rhardy

FYI I thought I should summarize what we have tried so far. I have tried the following, some of which have reduced the problem in both severity and frequency but have not completely ended it:
    -Check Fast Shutdown is off
    -Disable PCI IRQ Steering
    -Fiddle with card location on BUS/BIOS to ensure no IRQ sharing/IRQ conflicts occur
    -Disable NVRAM/ESCD updates
    -Check effects of loaded TSRs
    -Check Vshield is current and doesn't access floppy @shutdown
    -Check shutdown patches/supplements applied
    -Power management is on but doesn't seem to affect the problem

I haven't seen the BOD w/ the 0E exception for some time now. The failure mode now is a hang on "Windows is Shutting Down". Failure mode does not occur if one logs off before shutting down.

I guess I'll try adding all those vxds. It is against my better nature to add device drivers without knowing why I'm adding them. For example, I'm guessing vflat.vxd must be for flat screens... Adding it surely is just adding bloat to the system and decreasing system resources. Does windows have enough sense to not load things in vmm32.vxd which are not needed?