Rare upgrade (Need help)

Thread: Rare upgrade (Need help)

Post Rare upgrade (Need help)

I am currently upgradeing a NEC 286 computer for a Radio Station. I have the new computer built and ready to install, but have one problem. 15 Mb of text files stored on an old Winchester MFM Hard-Drive. My goal is to move all of the old data from the 286 to the PIII 450 in the least amount of time. I have tried dos-based lap link programs, but cannot get them to run on this old system. Because of the old style MFM Controller I cant daisey-chain the harddrives. I have started to put the files onto 3.5" floppies, but it takes about 1 hour per disk to copy the files.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I haven't seen one of these harddrives in years. I'm surprised it still works.

------------------
    It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. -- Albert Einstein
    It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit. -- The average customer.
    [email protected]

"There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]

Cool

Try using a scsi card and a small scsi hard drive. I keep a isa and a pci scsi card along with a 1 gig scsi hard drive in my travel kit. Transfer the info to the scsi drive, then you can put the info on the new drive.

Tried that Bad.IRON. This system would not detect my card Probably because it's a 16 bit card?
    System wont boot with card installed.

Does anyone know where I could get an old version of laplink or laplink clone?
    I think the dos version I have is to new V3.2

Thanks

------------------
    [email protected]

"There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home." – Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977 …….

[email protected]

How about an external parallel port ZIP drive? I've gotten them to work on 286s before, but it may have been an older version of their software. I seem to remember running guest.exe from a DOS prompt and it finds the drive and sets the drive letter. If you have an external ZIP drive, it's worth a shot anyway.

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE

R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.

an external zip drive will work but what you may want to do first is to compress the data with a program such as pkzip so that you are only transporting 1 file and the uncompress it at the other end.

Or you could compress the data spanning it accross floppies, I bet it takes many fewer, and then uncompress it at the new machine.

What operating system is on the new machine? I recently did a similar upgrade to an NT box and I got the data (26Mb)accross quickly by using a pair of 10Mb NICs, a crosover cable, and the MS lan manager client for DOS.

Good luck
    Bruce Dunn

Thank you for all of the help.
    I found a LAplink clone on the internet that worked like a charm.

It was a small program called File MAven v3.2
    Excellent program. Only 128k in size.

All files were moved via serial cable at 19200 bps. Fast easy simple.

Thanks againg for all of your suggestions.

------------------
    [email protected]

[email protected]