[RESOLVED] Athlon and win 98 second edition

Thread: [RESOLVED] Athlon and win 98 second edition

smilinghippi

Resolved [RESOLVED] Athlon and win 98 second edition

Im going to be installing an athlon along with windows 98 second edition. I was wondering if anybody has had any conflics with the two if so give me a holler

thanks

christian

Cool

...none known! I built a 600 Athlon 2 weeks ago w/Win98 SE using a MS6167 mb. I DO suggest following AMDs' guidelines for the build... 300 Watt p/s, ground-strap, etc. Start out simple with ONLY the video card loaded first, then add perif's as called for by your build spec... make sure to look in the BIOS thoroughly for the right parms for your set, usually the default settings fly well! Have fun!
    Christian

awt586

Just built the Athlon 650 with Win98 SE/NT4.0 Dual Boot. NOT A PROBLEM. I installed everything like I normally do. The AWARD BIOS on the Microstar Board is excellent and usually the defaults are fine. As a matter of fact, I was logging on NT ready to go in 18 minutes from starting the install. Go for it, you won't be sorry.

Cool

I'm running an Athlon 550 on the Asus K7 m/b with 128 mg of PC133 ram. Creative Live PCI sound with VooDoo 3500 AGP video card. 2 10.2 gig Western Digitals, Creative DVD, Opti CDW/R, 3Com 56K. This system booted perfectly from minute one with no glithes, quirks, or conflicts. It loaded Win98SE faster than any other machine I've ever loaded and its very quick a stable. My only complaint with the whole system would be the onboard sound on the Asus board. Thats why I opted for the Creative Live. No disappointments with the Athlon and Win 98SE. Go for it Dude and Enjoy!!
    WildTech
    Unless your the lead dog, the view never changes!

vvitak

Originally posted by WildTech:
    I'm running an Athlon 550 on the Asus K7 m/b with 128 mg of PC133 ram. Creative Live PCI sound with VooDoo 3500 AGP video card. 2 10.2 gig Western Digitals, Creative DVD, Opti CDW/R, 3Com 56K. This system booted perfectly from minute one with no glithes, quirks, or conflicts. It loaded Win98SE faster than any other machine I've ever loaded and its very quick a stable. My only complaint with the whole system would be the onboard sound on the Asus board. Thats why I opted for the Creative Live. No disappointments with the Athlon and Win 98SE. Go for it Dude and Enjoy!!
    I was just wondering I also have the a K7M
    motherboard and know I upgraded to 256mb of
    PC133 Ram is the system know going to run
    at 133 mhz? or do I have to set something.

Thanks.

In one of the really, really Blue states.

i have the k7m board also. pc133 will still run at 100mhz by default.if you go into the bios you can overclock it to i think at most 115? don't remember, but it would not run reliably past 110. remember since the athlon has fixed multiplier the chip will also run at 110 percent if you set the memory bus speed to 110mhz and you must take cooling precautions .
    even if your not overclocking the board pc133 is a good choice because the athlon needs high quality memory. it may also come in handy if you decide to upgrade in the future.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

vvitak

Red face

Originally posted by techs:
    i have the k7m board also. pc133 will still run at 100mhz by default.if you go into the bios you can overclock it to i think at most 115? don't remember, but it would not run reliably past 110. remember since the athlon has fixed multiplier the chip will also run at 110 percent if you set the memory bus speed to 110mhz and you must take cooling precautions .
    even if your not overclocking the board pc133 is a good choice because the athlon needs high quality memory. it may also come in handy if you decide to upgrade in the future.
    So what I really need is a chipset that will
    support PC133 memory like the via kx133. In the bios of the asus k7m you set it up the
    bus frequency up to 150mhz, also the manual
    say that this motherboard will support pc133
    in the cpu external frequency selection.

I'm running an athlon 700 on a gb ga-71xe with 98/se. Not one blue screen yet (honest)

Joel
    Can I have an 'Undo' button installed on my Unix box please?

In one of the really, really Blue states.

right about the kx-133 chip for the original athlon, it should run the ram at 133. if you get the thunderbird athlon you neet the kt-133 mobo's. while you may be able to go to 150(I really need to reboot and see what the max is) the athlon on a k7m will run at a multiple of the new bus speed due to the fixed multiplier. example- if you set the ram at 150 mhz(and it ran at that speed) the athlon 600 for instance will now try to run at 900 (multiplier is still x6)
    if your going to get an athlon, i think you might want the thunderbird on a kt-133 via based mobo. it gives you native support for pc133,and i am not sure but the thunderbird might not have a fixed multiplier(check with the overclockers on this) and you can increase the ram and processor speed independently.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

vvitak

Talking

Originally posted by techs:
    right about the kx-133 chip for the original athlon, it should run the ram at 133. if you get the thunderbird athlon you neet the kt-133 mobo's. while you may be able to go to 150(I really need to reboot and see what the max is) the athlon on a k7m will run at a multiple of the new bus speed due to the fixed multiplier. example- if you set the ram at 150 mhz(and it ran at that speed) the athlon 600 for instance will now try to run at 900 (multiplier is still x6)
    if your going to get an athlon, i think you might want the thunderbird on a kt-133 via based mobo. it gives you native support for pc133,and i am not sure but the thunderbird might not have a fixed multiplier(check with the overclockers on this) and you can increase the ram and processor speed independently.
    Great thanks for the advise