[RESOLVED] Does it really matter....

Thread: [RESOLVED] Does it really matter....

Rikofe

Resolved [RESOLVED] Does it really matter....

...where I put a cdrw drive on the ide cable?
    Most of the systems I put them in have one hard drive and one cdrom drive. Usually, the hard drive and the cdrom together on the primary ide cable. I've been putting the cdrw on the secondary cable as a master by itself.
    However, I've been told that this configuration will lead to trouble down the road.
    The problem is I can't get a consistant answer.
    I've been told to put them both on the secondary with cd as master and cdrw as slave...both on secondary with cdrw as master and cd as slave....cdrw on primary as slave and cd on secondary as master...etc.
    Mine was set as master on secondary just fine for the year that I owned it. It had a zip drive as a slave off it.
    So I guess I just need to know if it really matters where it is and if it does matter, something a little less vague than "it could cause trouble down the road"

Thanks

Mike

I normally place the cdrw as master and the cdrom as slave on the secondary IDE. It really doesn't matter as long as it works.

However, if you buy a new piece of equipment (i.e. harddrive, cdrom, cdrw, zip or other IDE device) in the future you may have to play with the configuration to get all the devices working together. This can happen no matter what configuration you have now. Some pieces of equipment just will not play with others unless they are in a specific position, and there is no way to know until you try them. There is no logic to it.

I know this is vague, but it's the best I can do.