[RESOLVED] Win2k CDR + DVD Problem...

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win2k CDR + DVD Problem...

Seoirse

Post Win2k CDR + DVD Problem...

Funny thing has happened.

I've got a Philips CDRW (16X10X40X) and an LG 12X DVD. Problem was that while burning the CDS, the CDRW gave an unspecified error and ceased recording at some point. I dont know whether it was because of a few faulty Mp3 taken from Audio Satellie.

Anyway, I quit the program and tried to burn anorher CD from scratch, but I received a prompt to insert a CD with more space. This was a brand new blank CD. I rebooted the PC and I could burn onto said CD. However, same error occured. I installed SP2 and also DirectX 8 for NT/2000. When I rebooted, the two drives were not detected but are in device manager with the typical yellow exclaimation marks. Tells me that windows cannot use the drivers. I try upgrading, but they are the latest drivers. They are both on the secondary IDE bus, I know it's not ideal to have them set up like that, but I cannnot fit them any other way. Using Roxio CD Creator 5 basic and also Nero 5540.
    Any ideas???

Any replies to [email protected] would be appreciated or here...

You should be able to re-arrange the drives!

If you've got four IDE devices swap the slave devices around.
    If you've got 3 devices try putting your CDRW alone as master on the secondary IDE.

If you're problem is that the cables are too short disconnect the DVD to test CDRW on it's own if it works go buy longer cables.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

Seoirse

Na, not an issue. Both are deteceted in Bios, and in Windows. It's obviously a driver thing. There are Four IDE Devices. HDD (Pri Master), Zip (Pri Slave), DVD (Sec Mas) and CDRW (Sec Slave).

Devices work if I try to boot off CD. I downloaded the latest Intel IDE Drivers. Still no good. Only happed after SP2 was installed.

It wouldn't be drivers for the devices themselves. Like you said it could be to do with the IDE drivers.

What does the bios say? is it recognising them? have you pressed the cables in?

Try taking the DVD off just for a while. It's always best to try these things, even if it did work once.

Oh and if this helps fix it you can buy me a pint of Guiness in Templebar before I go back home.

Matt

Seoirse

Hey Matt, what the hell are you doing drinking in Templebar??? Not authentic Dublin, not by a long shot.

Anyway, not the cables. The drives are all detected in the BIOS. I've replaced the cable. Using a UDMA 33 cable originally, have replaced with UDMA 100 as I have no put a 20GB drive in as secondary master. Drive is detected on boot but not under Windows.

Didnt back up files when installing SP2. I'm convinced it has something to do with that. I have XP here, but I'm not too impressed with it. Don't know whether to install over it or not.

Anyway, wouldn't be able to recommend too many pubs in Dublin as, as you know, there are sooo many to choose from. Where did you go to?