[RESOLVED] Help!!!Old cd-rom driver needed!!

Thread: [RESOLVED] Help!!!Old cd-rom driver needed!!

Bluebell2222

Question Help!!!Old cd-rom driver needed!!

I have an old, 1995ish cd rom by sony that did not come with a driver. How do I get a driver for something that old? My new(HA HA) computer is 10 years old and must have an old cd-rom but I cannot install it without the driver. HELP!!!!!!

Silverman

How about a model number for the old Sony CDrom and whether or not it is hooked upto a proprietary controller.

------------------
    DOS isn't dead it just smells funny

freddy the fisherman

www.windrivers.com/tech/bootdisk/index.htm should give u a propriety disk.

who said it was a sony?

lift the lid off and look inside ,,,if the cd is connected with the H/d then its an ide. if its connected to the sound card then u need a different driver.
    if its on the sound card there are usually 3 different conectors (cant remember now) look to see the name of the connector and we will see what we can do

StevePorter

Talking

Find somebody with a Win98 boot floppy. Those generic drivers almost always work with the old CD drives...

------------------
    Some computer problems require extreme solutions. Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster on deep fat fry...

Thumbs up

hi find the model number for your sony and if it is the old proprietary type when can lead you to the proper drivers,win98 boot disk is only good for ide drives,not the ones plugged in sound card with proprietary connector,
    clauded

Silverman

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Bluebell2222:
    I have an old, 1995ish cd rom by sony that did not come with a driver. How do I get a driver for something that old? My new(HA HA) computer is 10 years old and must have an old cd-rom but I cannot install it without the driver. HELP!!!!!!</font>
    In reply to freddie, Bluebell2222 did.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Silverman (edited September 10, 2001).]

freddy the fisherman

sorry silverman,
    i read thru the "sony" bit.

On rereading the origional question , i now read it as if u are TRYING to install this for the first time?
    if this is so .....then chuck the old sony 2speed in the bin.it will be knackered and to slow.
    if its not an IDE then it wont work unless u buy an interface card.
    buy yourself an IDE 50x speed (in UK they are about £25.00) and a double IDE lead ...unless your machine has primary and secondary controllers (look next to the origional IDE cable for another plug)

good luck ,,,,,keep us posted.

[This message has been edited by freddy the fisherman (edited September 11, 2001).]

Silverman

I really don't think a ten year old computer is going to be able to support an IDE cdrom without an IDE controller card capable of handling a cdrom. I did it once a few years ago on an old 486 66 MHZ machine and DOS for win3.11. But it was hit and miss with that setup at best whether it would work reliably from one boot to the next.

------------------

freddy the fisherman

just for the sake of historical content, bluebell2222 can u tell us the spec of this 10 year old computer (1991) ie:
    1: what processor is it.
    2: what o/s are u using
    3: what memory have u got.

i say this because ive just been in the loft (with an extension lead) and fired up a circa 1985 amstrad PC1512 808(6) ...(actually V20 ...10meg hard drive 512k) , compacq 286...20meg my faithful AMD powered 386 (with 4m memory)...and lastly my ugly NASTY vesa VLB sx25....(still got a virus ...that one)

at 10 years old it must be a very expensive 386 .....ie:40mhz!!!! or an early 486sx.

in either case i cant think of many progs on cd that will work on dos 5/6/6.22 or win 3/3.1/3.11

to the dump to the dump to the dump dump dump......

[This message has been edited by freddy the fisherman (edited September 14, 2001).]