Anyone Familiar with LILO boot?

Thread: Anyone Familiar with LILO boot?

Post Anyone Familiar with LILO boot?

Anyone know how to get Linux off a hard drive? I had one with LILO on before and Win98 fdisk and format wouldn't get rid of the partition and files. Is there something I need to do special to get rid of this stuff? I'm completely Linux illiterate, unfortunately! Any help would be appreciated!

GLSmith
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Try a utility like Zero Fill from Quantum, or you could also infect the drive with CIH and set the system clock back to the 26th...

Use the Linux boot disk, and Linux Fdisk to remove the Linux partition, then use the DOS Fdisk to reclaim the partition.

------------------
    Who needs a life, I have Internet!
    Jim & Sue's Free Files | Jim's Modems
    Who needs a life, I have Internet! <a href="http://members.cnx.net/reboot/" target="_blank">Jim & Sue's Free Files</a> | <a href="http://reboot.8m.com" target="_blank">Jim's Modems</a> | [email protected]

Thanks reboot but I don't have a linux boot disk or anything else linux here. Angel I kind of like your idea about using CIH, I wonder if I still have a copy of it around here somewhere.......

GLSmith

CIMEBOAT

You could use partition magic if you have it to delete the ext2 partition and with your win98 boot disk type fdisk /mbr at the a; prompt to delete the LILO.

shawnMt

Download Zap (in Windrivers utilities.) Put it on a bootable floppy.

a:\zap 0

Where zero is master disk. I have not found a drive/os it would not wipe.

Low level format the drive.

goofball

someday one of these "techs" are actually "low level format" and ruin that ide hard drive. true low level format can only be done at the factory, when you do a "low level" in the field you are zero filling, and it is not always the answer

3fingersalute

Exclamation

Yes, I would definitely reccomend infecting it with the CIH virus, then let me know how you got CIH to infect a Linux drive, because CIH does not affect Linux and if by some miracle you can, you my as well have a motherboard handy for when CIH fries out your BIOS too!1111

------------------
    [email protected]

Hey guys thanks for the responses as always!! This one is on hold a little while as we got stacked up again, but in response:

Cimeboat: Thanks I haven't had much luck with the version of Part. Magic that we have but I might have something like it to get rid of it, then fdisk/mbr huh? I might just have to try that.

ShawnMt: what does Zap do? If it does what I think it does I might want it for other things also! When you say zero is the master do you mean as in drive0? Or do I need a drive letter in there?

Bad.iron & goofball: low level would be a last resort. Whatever low level I can do "in the field" is always a last resort type thing. I have had SOME success with it though.

3fingersalute: First of all,the CIH comment was a joke, or so it was taken as one, lighten up! Second, like I said I'm really not familiar with Linux, although I am familiar with CIH and know it is a 95/98 exe infector. Third, it only kills the bios if you leave the bios flashable, something I've never understood. I'd rather have the hassle of moving a jumper or flipping a switch then take the chance a virus will flash my bios!!

Anyway I will try some of these things when I have time

GLSmith

shawnMt

Zap will wipe the hell out of any drive in about 2 seconds. The command is "zap 0" as om the number zero

------------------
    --Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.