Advice on a motherboard needed

Thread: Advice on a motherboard needed

Post Advice on a motherboard needed

I got a friend who has a Shuttle motherboard, model # AK12.

He is having problems with the computer. My first instinct is the hard drive (its a Western Digital).... but due to an experience with a previous motherboard that was a nightmare, I look up reviews and info that other people have said about it. The only thing I could find out about it was 7 or 8 out of the 12 I saw people who posted anything about it said it was essentially a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10.

SOOOOO question time.

Has anyone heard anything bad about this board? Does anyone have any bad experiences with it?
    If it aint broke, TWEAK it!
    When in doubt, throw it out!!

I haven't had any personal experience with Shuttle, but I'm just trying to remember off the top of my head if Shuttle is associated with PC-Chips or not. I could be wrong though, my memory is bad lately.

Anything that is associated with PC-Chips is asking for trouble, that is my 2 cents.
    It is true that shuttle is a value board, which means you get what you pay for!

Don't know about that specific model but my shuttle board is great. Very stable and easy to set up.

Shuttle is not associated with ECS/PC Chips.

I just worked with an AK12 today. It wont work with an Athlon 1.4ghz (266). It says this about it on the website:

"AMD K7 Athlon 1.4 GHz CPU is supported since AK12 V3.x BOM33 & later"

I dont know what BOM33 is. I do have the latest BIOS.

Be careful about what board you have. Mine said AK12 V3.0 on the PCB. That really means AK12a. I tried the AK12 BIOS and it said wrong board and it would not flash. The AK12a BIOS went right in.

Overall I dont like this board. If you are looking for something in the KT133a chipset then consider the Gigabyte or Abit KT7a.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

agree with the others. shuttle boards are not that great and we have had alot of problems with them before. cheap bored = trouble.

go with gigabyte (which is on the cheap side but they are dependable).

Thumbs up

Shuttle boards may lack features but are not lacking in quality. Rock solid.
    Winners deserve the accolades more
    than losers deserve any tears.

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MaddMaxx:
    <strong>Shuttle boards may lack features but are not lacking in quality. Rock solid.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I also have to agree, I thought the AV40 that I am running was a cheap pos board until I used it for a while, turns out to be one of the best boards i've ever used
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Most of our workstations are using the Shuttle AV18 or AE18 (not 100% sure which can't confirm tonight).

Havn't had any problems to date.
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!