Is there a law requireing the TelCo to provide a certain dialup speed ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there a law requireing the TelCo to provide a certain dialup speed ?

Post Is there a law requireing the TelCo to provide a certain dialup speed ?

Is there a Law that Telephone companys have to provide lines able to connect via modem at 14.4 or something like that...
    "Im the guy your mother warned you about."

I doubt it, because line speeds vary so much. Depending on the line quality, your modem speed and settings, distance, ect... Sometimes even weather plays a factor. The only laws I'm aware of limit speeds to 56k, but I don't think there's a min speed law.

Originally posted by Quiet Thunder:
    <STRONG>The only laws I'm aware of limit speeds to 56k,</STRONG>
    That's a law of physics, not of humanity.
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

Exclamation

The local phone company here says that they are only required to provide a 14,400 bps connection...but I don't believe it is a law. If you are getting 28,800, then you should be happy...at least, in their eyes.

Of course, they want you to buy into their DSL program at $45/month.

Hope this answers your question...
    Don
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Originally posted by Wayward Clam:
    <STRONG>

That's a law of physics, not of humanity.</STRONG>
    Right! Humanity limits it to 53k for downloads or am I behind the times?

GLSmith
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Originally posted by Don:
    <STRONG>The local phone company here says that they are only required to provide a 14,400 bps connection...but I don't believe it is a law. If you are getting 28,800, then you should be happy...at least, in their eyes.

Of course, they want you to buy into their DSL program at $45/month.

Hope this answers your question...
    Don</STRONG>
    Wow I need to move to Tx. DSL is $60/month here plus renting the lines. I gotta get outta Bedrock
    *Edited by Sowulo*

Thanks to A d e p t for the avatar!!!!

Im done here

I live 30miles south of dallas and I get a 26.4 connection max. No form of broadband at all in my area... =( Im really getting pissed off...
    "Im the guy your mother warned you about."

yeah that gets to be a pain.... "Yes sir I did install a 56k modem. No sir you won't connect at 56k. Yes sir I understand you only connect at 26.4 but you live in the south end ( here anyway ). Sorry sir it IS the phone lines most everyone on that side of town connect at that speed. What's that? Yes sir but they have cable/DSL/Satelitte and can connect faster.... blah blah blah etc.. etc..."

Where I live I get 46.6 - 53.3 connecttions depending on time of day and traffic. Across the bridge here where I work it's anywhere from 26.4 - 46.6. Occasionally someone I know can connect at 49 but that's rare. Sorry rant sesion over.

it just boils down to.... The phone company isn't Forced to give good connections so they couldn't care less. At least around here you can get all kinds of excuses too form them. squirrels running on phones lines is my favorite!

GLSmith

FYI: In communities where the top connection speed is always 26,400 the phone service provider is splitting the bandwidth to get more customer coverage with half the infrastructure--they are using half-duplex instead of full (26.4 X 2 = 52.8, the actual max possible). In other words, you're being cheaped-out. Call and complain, and then call and complain, and then call and complain again...A couple of my clients made themselves a big enough burr under the saddle to get their full duplex connected.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Thanks Sowulo, I never thought of that, makes sence though. I just figured it was old lines on the south side of town. At least here that seems to be the only place having that trouble.

GLSmith

Originally posted by Wayward Clam:

That's a law of physics, not of humanity.
    ..no technically it would be possible but the fcc doesn't want anything higher than 53k since it would interfere with other communications...
    what if microsoft inserted code in their operating system that would disable an OS if it recieved a signal over the net from microsoft?....

You guys are lucky, the fastest I can connect at is 19200. It IS the phone lines.
    Every action creates an equal but opposite criticism.

The CRTC (Canada's version of the FCC, only more beauraucratic) dictates a minimum standard for basic telephone service, however this standard only applies to voice communications and not modem, xDSL, or cable connections as these are not deemed "essential services." Some people are fighting for standards so people have some legal leverage if they're not getting the maximum speed they are paying for.

BUT:

If you read the ISP contract, you will see that they have included a clause which states that speeds (or existence of any service at all!) are not guaranteed. And guess what, since you are using the service you have agreed to the contract and have basically waived any and all legal rights, so your ISP's legal behind is covered.

So the answer in Canada is NO. I suspect it is the same in the USA.

The only way that you have legal recourse is if you are paying an addt'l fee for "gauranteed data rate" and if you look closely that gauranteed rate is 14.4 or even 9600 baud, everyone should be able to get that rate. Otherwise, no you have no legal recourse to demand more.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

If I remember correctly, the only thing that the FCC requires of phone companies is that telephone lines be able to support 2400 baud... which makes reference to line QUALITY, not amount of data able to be transfered.

Remember, baud does not directly measure transfer speed. Baud rate actually measures the number of signal changes, or events, that occur in 1 second. Where as bps measures bits per second. You can transmit more than one bit per event (eg 2400 baud x 12 bits per event = 28800 bps), however it is the bits per event that suffers as line quality, distance from phone station, weather conditions, etc, degrade.

So, to answer your question: No, there is not a law that requires you to obtain a minimum connection speed - only a minimum line quality. And as you can see that required level of line quality is not very high.

Not to mention that MacGyver makes an excellent point. Every ISP I have ever seen as some kind of agreement that states they do not guarantee any kind of connection speed. I believe even the box or disclaimer that comes with a modem says the same thing.