Is there a law requireing the TelCo to provide a certain dialup speed ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is there a law requireing the TelCo to provide a certain dialup speed ?

Well the main TelCo in Australia guarantees their lines to support a connection speed of 2400 baud! That's about 2.3Kbps!!

Fortunately, the actual speed is always much higher, but that's all they "guarantee".

...we should get some kind of fcc regulation on telco speeds....
    but with dsl.. my provider says i have to get a minimum of 384k or they'll cancel my account.. wish modem was like that, right?
    what if microsoft inserted code in their operating system that would disable an OS if it recieved a signal over the net from microsoft?....

I was talking to a customer who happens to be the seinor man in the CO. He says the only thing they HAVE to provide is VOICE, NOT DATA. I guess its somewhere in the fine print about running data through the same line, 14,4 is all they will help you with up here.

Dunno its a verizon thing I guess.
    AMD,NETSCAPE,NORTONS.. Why are they almost alwalys found together? Possibly the worse software and hardware made to date, (not including AOL)

The local phone company here says that they only support voice, and fax machines up to 9600 baud. If more is wanted, get a data line. Of course, here at the edge of the Everglades, having a phone is a plus.

In Oregon the only thing Qwest has to provide is voice. I tried the complain and complain thing but kept getting charged the $50 house calls when the tech would come check my lines. I complained enough to get the charges off my bill but "learned my lesson". Now I just grit my teeth at the 26.4 and go to school for my major downloads.

Originally posted by Sowulo:
    <STRONG>FYI: In communities where the top connection speed is always 26,400 the phone service provider is splitting the bandwidth to get more customer coverage with half the infrastructure--they are using half-duplex instead of full (26.4 X 2 = 52.8, the actual max possible). In other words, you're being cheaped-out. Call and complain, and then call and complain, and then call and complain again...A couple of my clients made themselves a big enough burr under the saddle to get their full duplex connected.</STRONG>
    You'll also get 26400 if you're on some PBX systems.
    ---
    Back with a vengeance.
    ---
    Try Windows Vista, the CE.ME.NT eXPerience...

Originally posted by Sowulo:
    <STRONG>FYI: In communities where the top connection speed is always 26,400 the phone service provider is splitting the bandwidth to get more customer coverage with half the infrastructure--they are using half-duplex instead of full (26.4 X 2 = 52.8, the actual max possible). In other words, you're being cheaped-out. Call and complain, and then call and complain, and then call and complain again...A couple of my clients made themselves a big enough burr under the saddle to get their full duplex connected.</STRONG>
    That explains why I get such crappy connection speeds when I have to use my modem at school. They're cheap.
    <a href="http://www.8ung.at/furlong47" target="_blank">Furlong47's Poetry Page</a>
    <a href="http://roadtrip.d-domains.net" target="_blank">ROADTRIP!!!</a>

You know it's going to be a long day when you get up, shave and shower, start to get dressed and your shoes are still warm. -- Dean Webber