WinDrivers Advantage ads

Thread: WinDrivers Advantage ads

Post WinDrivers Advantage ads

I really like this site and signed up for the service the first day it was offered. I figured it was a small price to pay for a great website. But, do we have to have advertisements in the premium section if we are paying for the service. It would make the website easier to navigate without them. Also why do we have the announcement about the Windrivers Advantage on the premium page? That doesn’t make sense. If you are on the premium page you should already signed up for the service. Just a few thoughts. Sorry if this is a dup.
    Keep it about the computers....

I'm also interested in hearing about this since I just mailed out my cheque and subscription...
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

The ads are there to try and make money. You probably pay for cable TV too but it still has ads. (Not to mention the splash screens on that new piece of software you just BOUGHT...) They show ads at the theatres even though you paid to get in. If you rent a video there's usually some ads at the beginning.....Get over it, it's a commercial site and the goal is to make some $$$.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Red face

When you pay for cable it goes to the local Cable Company. Not the networks, the networks put the ads on their channels to make money. By WinDrivers putting ads on the member’s section they are double dipping. What is the advantage to us? We even have to deal with ads in the newsletter!!! I think it is something that should be considered. I understand they are a business and they have to make money. I have no problem with that and I paid right away without complaining, but what is the advantage. What service is provided to us now that we can't get elsewhere for free? If the ads were gone I would consider it well worth it. Thank you, I appreciate responses to this post and thanks for reading my opinion.

All the internet.com sites seem to advertise each other only. I guess it's a cross-marketing promotional thing, which I'm sure internet.com will continue to use.

[quote]Originally posted by mhull616:
    <strong>When you pay for cable it goes to the local Cable Company. Not the networks, the networks put the ads on their channels to make money. By WinDrivers putting ads on the member’s section they are double dipping. What is the advantage to us? We even have to deal with ads in the newsletter!!! I think it is something that should be considered. I understand they are a business and they have to make money. I have no problem with that and I paid right away without complaining, but what is the advantage. What service is provided to us now that we can't get elsewhere for free? If the ads were gone I would consider it well worth it. Thank you, I appreciate responses to this post and thanks for reading my opinion.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually a portion of the money you pay your cable company goes to the various networks for access royalties. That's one of the reasons your channel lineup changes from time to time. e.g. the cartoon channel cuts their fee to the cable company and the home & garden channel gets dumped in favor of cartoons and increased profits for the cable distributor...

[quote]Originally posted by Sowulo:
    <strong>

Actually a portion of the money you pay your cable company goes to the various networks for access royalties. That's one of the reasons your channel lineup changes from time to time. e.g. the cartoon channel cuts their fee to the cable company and the home & garden channel gets dumped in favor of cartoons and increased profits for the cable distributor...</strong><hr></blockquote>

If that is the case then they are just resellers. What is WinDrivers reselling to us... One of the reasons I put the digital cable’s music channel’s on is because it is all music, all the time. No advertising. I pay for that; I could listen to the radio for free!! It is kind of lame to have to pay to read advertisements. If anything clean them out of the newsletter. I would understand if it was a free newsletter.

My next question is, what are we getting NEW with the subscription? (besides the newsletter, which is just a summary of the main page that we can access for free anyways.)

[quote]Originally posted by mhull616:
    <strong>

If that is the case then they are just resellers. What is WinDrivers reselling to us... One of the reasons I put the digital cable’s music channel’s on is because it is all music, all the time. No advertising. I pay for that; I could listen to the radio for free!! It is kind of lame to have to pay to read advertisements. If anything clean them out of the newsletter. I would understand if it was a free newsletter.

My next question is, what are we getting NEW with the subscription? (besides the newsletter, which is just a summary of the main page that we can access for free anyways.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Question 1: Windrivers is selling a service, if you don't need that service then why the bitching? If you don't think the service is worth the small fee then once again, why the bitching?

Question 2: This question is irrelevant. Internet.com is charging a fee because they are a for-profit business that is tired of paying the entire cost of giving away their service for free. (see: <a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=000725" target="_blank">Beating a Dead Horse</a>) Once again, quit your bitching....you don't like it, fine, no one said you have to. But life isn't free and as one who has had to bust my butt for 30+ years supporting myself and my family, and still finding time to help others when and where I can (like modding here), I have no pity for those unfortunates who think they deserve to have things handed to them for nothing...And I'm done beating this dead horse...

Topic Closed.