[RESOLVED] Is there a way to read DVDs with a regular CD-ROM drive?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Is there a way to read DVDs with a regular CD-ROM drive?

DarkDessertion

Post Is there a way to read DVDs with a regular CD-ROM drive?

Is there a way to read DVDs with a regular CD-ROM drive?

I am really mad that I have DVDs and no player!

MacGyver

Unhappy

Absolutely not. CD's and DVD's are totally different formats. You need an extremely narrow laser to read a DVD, and the laser on a CD drive is much too wide.

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.

StevePorter

Lightbulb

You can buy a discounted DVD drive for under $50. As they used to say in the Nike commercials...just do it...

------------------
    Some computer problems require extreme solutions. Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to deep fat fry...

Actually, there is a way. Only when the DVD is not copyrighted. I've seen a DVD demo by ATI playing on a regular CD-ROM reader.

But there is no way you can play a DVD movie on a common CD-ROM.

------------------
    My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Darren Wilson

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by AlienDyne:
    Actually, there is a way. Only when the DVD is not copyrighted. I've seen a DVD demo by ATI playing on a regular CD-ROM reader.

</font>
    I have some no-copyrighted DVD's here, Alien, which are off the front of various magazines so I tried this and unfortunatly none of them work as the CD lens cannot read the full data on a DVD due to the way the DVD is written. This is on a number of CD-Rom's as well. DVD-Rom reads them all fine.

------------------
    System Specs
    Abit KT7A-RAID (Rock F'n Solid!!!) - AMD Athlon 1Ghz (10x100) - 1024Mb PC133 SDRAM - ATI Radeon (AGP4X) - Maxtor ATA100 30Gb - 2 x Seagate ATA66 (RAID 0 totalling 26Gb) - Toshiba SD-1202M DVD - Plextor PlexWriter 2410A (Buy One!!!!) - Creative Labs SB Live! Value (No Pops , Hiss or Crackles here) - 20" Eizo Flexscan Monitor - Microsoft Windows XP Professional OEM Final Release

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by AlienDyne:

</font>
    You sure that wasn't a Video CD? Video CD's will in fact play from a regular CDROM and ATI's MultiMedia Center plays them....

------------------
    Note to self: Re-index brain cells, database corruption present.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Question

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by sowulo:
    You sure that wasn't a Video CD? Video CD's will in fact play from a regular CDROM and ATI's MultiMedia Center plays them....

</font>
    Yes, I'm possitive! It is a DVD disc. It has the DVD label on and you can recognize it when you look at its surface. I had a Teac CD-ROM drive when I played it using PowerDVD. I'm sure about it, but now I'm not sure about the rest non-copyrighted ones.

------------------
    My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.