KT7A Raid working, final config question

Thread: KT7A Raid working, final config question

Post KT7A Raid working, final config question

Everone knows my continuing saga with this board. It is working great now. No lock ups for a whole day, being used or not. It's current config is this
    850 T Bird
    Bios all at defaults except
    parallel port disabled
    both serial ports disabled
    1 20 GB IBM on Raid channel 1 as boot drive with Millenium
    2 40 GB WD400 mirrored on ATA100 channel 2
    Linksys Net card in PCI1
    ATI XPert 2000 PRO
    I do NOT have the drivers for the Highpoint 370 installed. I know that this makes it not ATA100. But does the mirroring operate at a BIOS/Hardwae level or will it not mirror without drivers. I have only two more things to install in theis PC. Highpoint and sound. I don't have to have sound but it would make it easier to Organize MP3 's on this machine sibce they are stored here. I have 2, an SBLive 5.1 MP3 plus and an AOPEN AW200. What should I install next(Highpoint, sound-which card inwhat slot.)
    Thanks, you guys have all benn a wealth of help. Looks like I am nearing the end. Thanks
    Jim
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Darren Wilson

Pauls Unofficial KT7 FAQ recommends the following order to install the drivers for these boards (which does seem to alleviate a lot of the problems.

• AGP card
    • Voodoo I or Voodoo II Cards: Since these cards do not require an IRQ address, it is recommended that they be installed after the successful installation of your operating system
    • Any ISA card
    • Internal Modem (PCI)
    • Sound Card (PCI or ISA)
    • Network Card, a.k.a. NIC (PCI or ISA)
    • DVD Devices requiring Dxr3 Decoder Board (PCI). Note: Some video decoder boards require two (2) IRQs for complete functionality. Check with your video decoder card manufacturer for video decoder support and requirements
    • SCSI Adapter (PCI)
    • Any other cards

Make sure though (& I am sure that you already have done this) that IRQ#5 is set to ISA/Legacy in the BIOS or you will run into problems with the Highpoint controller & any PCI device that wants to use IRQ#5

PCI slot 5 also shares IRQ's with RAID controllers. So don't put anything in that slot. I have my sound card in slot 2 if that helps. For me..it didn't matter which card I installed first or last. I started to go by what Paul's site said and it screwed things up. Hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Live did nothing good. Immediate lock ups no matter what. Put the cheap-o AOpen in on slot 3, NIC card on slot 1. That is all the peripherals. Highpoint, etc, all installed. Since it worked so well I finally finished the system.
    Final Config that seems to work:
    ATI XPert 2000
    Linksys NIC slot 1
    AOpen AW200 sound in slot 3
    IBM 20GB on ATA100 channel 1
    2 WD 40GB mirrored on ATA100 channel 2
    LG 32x CDROM as master on IDE1
    TDK CDRW master on IDE 2

No Problems except on that seems to be Power supply related. System works great until using alot of devices(e.g. burning a CD from the mirrored drives. Then when finalizing system restarted. PS is Athlon approved, but only 250 watts. Will put a bigger one in tomorrow and that should do it. This has NOT been fun, but I do feel a sense of accomplishment. Thanks for all the help.
    Still prefer Intel, though.
    Jim
    BTW, my two sons and I just got home from Tomb Raider, and it Rocks.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.