[RESOLVED] HELP ME with this motherboard EPOX EP-8K7A AMD-761 + VIA 686B AGPset MOTHERBOARD For

Thread: [RESOLVED] HELP ME with this motherboard EPOX EP-8K7A AMD-761 + VIA 686B AGPset MOTHERBOARD For

CrazyViet17

Exclamation HELP ME with this motherboard EPOX EP-8K7A AMD-761 + VIA 686B AGPset MOTHERBOARD For

EPOX EP-8K7A AMD-761 + VIA 686B AGPset MOTHERBOARD For AMD , do you think it is a good motherboard to purchase with a 1.4ghz amd athlon cpu purchase? If so tell me why its good, or bad, thanks

Breakbeat Bob

Its not that bad in my opinion, but what are you paying for it? I had 2 FIC's that were both defective, but my ASUS MB has proven to be very reliable. Every deal has a sacrafice.

Jpbtennisman

I own that setup..

It's very good, but you might want to wait for the EPOX 8KHA+, which will be based on the VIA KT266a chipset. It was just released but only one place sells it as a combo (so you can get the mobo + CPU).

Search for "kt266a" on Pricewatch and look at the Epox + 1.4ghz Athlon combo.

Breakbeat Bob: Compaq ships with FIC motherboards, so that may be something to note...

------------------
    "I don't care if it's called the Crap-tastic 9000! If it's good, I'm getting it." - Me

Mistake #6:
    "If we got a new webmaster, you would get permanently banned and your Word Association post would be closed."

Antec SX840, AMD Athlon 1400@1584 STABLE, Epox 8K7A+, IBM 60GXP 40GB, 20GB Maxtor 7200RPM, Plextor 16x10x40, Pioneer Slot-Loading DVD-ROM, Yamaha 8x8x24 Firewire CD-RW, Maxtor 80GB external Firewire hard drive, ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Realtek NIC (blech), 1394 card, Thermalright Sk6 with Thermaltake 31cfm

[This message has been edited by Jpbtennisman (edited October 05, 2001).]

Hippie_Techs

Cool

I would have to agree with Jpbtennisman. The board to get will have a KT266A chipset. I don't know so much about the Epox motherboards. They seem to do fairly well in the reviews, but I have heard that their tech support is lacking. This could have changed since I heard this (over a year ago), but I tend to like Abit and Asus. I've also heard their tech support is lacking, but I don't seem to have any problems with their boards. Epox seems to be one of those companies that tries to be first to market with the newest chipset available. This can be good and it can be bad. If their is a glitch in the chipset, it usually takes a while for it to get corrected and if your the first board out there...let's just say tech support will be a little less than helpful until VIA tells them how to fix it.

------------------
    In the immortal words of Socrates, "I drank what?"

Jpbtennisman

The only problem I've ever heard about with Epox boards is that a few months back they had a bad batch of BIOS chips. But those were easily replaced and IIRC the problem has not occurred.

My Epox was very easy to set up...i changed ONE jumper, and that was the 100/200FSB to 133/266 FSB one. After that, put it in the case, plugged in all the stuff, and powered it up. Booted flawlessly and I had everything running smooth in a matter of a couple of hours.

Apparently the consensus is, from a lot of hardcore AMD system builders, that the Epox boards are indeed as stable as Asus boards!

They are also very overclockable..I have heard of people with ridiculously loud and expensive aircooling who can't get speeds as hgih as I'm getting with mediocre cooling, and no i don't live in Antarctica

And that is the 8k7a! Imagine what you can get with the new 8kha+.

------------------
    "I don't care if it's called the Crap-tastic 9000! If it's good, I'm getting it." - Me

Mistake #6:
    "If we got a new webmaster, you would get permanently banned and your Word Association post would be closed."

Antec SX840, AMD Athlon 1400@1584 STABLE, Epox 8K7A+, IBM 60GXP 40GB, 20GB Maxtor 7200RPM, Plextor 16x10x40, Pioneer Slot-Loading DVD-ROM, Yamaha 8x8x24 Firewire CD-RW, Maxtor 80GB external Firewire hard drive, ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Realtek NIC (blech), 1394 card, Thermalright Sk6 with Thermaltake 31cfm

[This message has been edited by Jpbtennisman (edited October 05, 2001).]

CrazyViet17

The store im purchasing it from is selling the epox 8k7a for $115, is that a good deal? and the AMD 1.4ghz for $120, is that good? Please reply thanks

[This message has been edited by CrazyViet17 (edited October 05, 2001).]

Breakbeat Bob

Thats sounds pretty good. There is this place here that is selling a ASUS MB with a 1.4GIG Athlon for like $265. Also I am getting a P4 1.7 and MB from Intel for $199, possibly looking to sell it.