[RESOLVED] Athon freezes up with sound

Thread: [RESOLVED] Athon freezes up with sound

azriel

Post Athon freezes up with sound

I have an Athlon 600 on a GA-I7X motherboard, 256 meg mem, 52x true speed
    cd, voodoo 3 3000, mmx 300 sound card, zoltex modem, pci lan card, and an
    enlight power supply/case, problem is whenever i play a game with sound it will lock
    up, if its demanding sound ie freespace 2 with arual 3d on, it locks up in about 2
    minutes, if i lower the sound level it takes longer, ie i can play heretic 2 for about 3
    hours on low sound quality before it freezes, i have no conflicts, went out purchased
    2 diffrent sound cards, made no difference, if i alter the memory setting in the bios i
    can have my computer last longer before freezing but it will still freeze, i can play the
    cd using cd player all night however and the computer will not freeze, if im not using
    sound, ie web browsing/downloading the computer will not freeze, some have said it
    might be the video card and that is why im crashing during game, but the system will
    also crash if i play winamp for more than 30 minutes, but like i said no sound i can
    do it all day, i am all out of ideas please help,

wiseacre

Lightbulb

Have you tried disabling a3d? I've read in a different forum that there was some problems with a3d on athlon systems. You might also want to try aureal reference drivers. They've helped me in the past. Hope this helps.

wiseacre

Jon G

Sounds a little like it could be heat-related..especially with a whole shedload of internal hardware like you have.

What sort of cooling do you have over the CPU/memory?

Jon