No device found

Thread: No device found

Post No device found

I have an old pc running w95. It has a pentium s 100mhz chip. The mobo has an SIS 5571 chipset. I have just tried to install w98 using the disc off this computer. I can`t use it because it is oem not an upgrade. I formatted the hard drive but it will not recognize the cdrom. It says no device found. The cdrom works fine in w95.

What boot disk are you using? If you are using a Windows 98 boot disk and the cdrom is still not found, it is probably attached to the sound card rather than the ide bus. This means that you will need to load the drivers for the sound card first in dos, then the cdrom drivers that accompany the sound drivers in dos. From there you will be able to use the cdrom.

If you are not using a 98 bootdisk, one can be obtained <a href="ftp://ftp.fluidlight.com/pub/nospin_files/WIN98SE.exe" target="_blank">here</a>
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The cdrom is connected to ide2 on the mobo. Does w98 use fat 32 files. I can use the cdrom in w95 and reinstall w95 after formatting. I just can`t get w98 boot disk to see the damn thing. How can I overcome this?

[quote]Originally posted by giggsy7:
    <strong>The cdrom is connected to ide2 on the mobo. Does w98 use fat 32 files. I can use the cdrom in w95 and reinstall w95 after formatting. I just can`t get w98 boot disk to see the damn thing. How can I overcome this?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds like you got one of the few cdrom drives that the 98 bootdisk cant drive.

YOu need to get the make of your cdrom drive and go to the site and get the dos drivers for it.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Go into the BIOS and change the drive boot order so that the CDROM is first boot device. Then just insert the W98 cd and reboot your system, setup should start automatically.
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook