[RESOLVED] will 133mhz fsb chip work in a board that doesnt support it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] will 133mhz fsb chip work in a board that doesnt support it

pumpkinhead77

Question will 133mhz fsb chip work in a board that doesnt support it

i have another few ?'s before i go and buy the new chip.

1. I know what slot i need but not what it supports up to so if i put too fast a chip in will my pc still work, just not as fast as it should?

2.the current processor has a 100mhz fsb and the chip that im looking a has a 133mhz bus will it still work or as stated above just not perform at peak performance.Or will it burn something out or not work at all.

Thanks guys, I love ya you've been a great help so far

Bennash

It probably would work but you would knacker the chip up.

You are better off buying a new motherboard or depending on how much you want to upgrade your PC you could just put the fastest chip in that your board supports.

What chip have you got in a the moment?

What chip do you want to put in?

------------------
    Ben Nash

It might but would be a waste. If it did work and you are using an intel CPU then you are going to not get full speed out of the chip due to the fact your fsb is lower but the multiplier is still determined by the chip. So, for example, a PIII733 would run at 550mhz. But that is if it does work. Some of the reasons it may not are the motherboard not supporting the voltages or the bios not being able to know what CPU it is.

pumpkinhead77

Red face

well, currently i am running a pentium 3 550e, i bought it less than a year ago so should it not be compatable with a 1ghz? I am going to buy the 1ghz if it will not screw my machine up, because even if i will not be able to fully utilize it now, i will pull the board and replace it soon. but i would really like to know if the chip would
    A.speed me up any
    B.fry anything
    C.work at all

------------------
    If it's not broken....Fix it!

kingsizer

Check your motherboard specs. As the processor is clock multiplier locked it should run fine at 1Ghz 100Mhz FSB. But do update your BIOS. As far as 133 Mhz FSB is concerned, the limitation is usually on the chipset (usually appears on the boot screen). The VIA 694/693A/PRO133/694X chipsets support 133 Mhz FSB, as does the intel 810e, and GFXcel. You also need to bear in mind that PC133 RAM would better support a processor running at 133MHz FSB. Voltage shouldn't be a problem as I think (be don't quote me) the 550e and 1Ghz run at the same voltage, or near enough the same, so you're unlikely to fry the chip (unless you grab those gold connectors and rub your feet on a nylon carpet!).
    If you're not sure, the safe option is to go for the 1Gig 100Mhz FSB chip (it also offers a little tweaking potential).

--(=):> < =)--

[This message has been edited by kingsizer (edited February 04, 2001).]

pumpkinhead77

So, what you guys are saying is basically

1.It will more than likely work just not as fast as it could if it(the board) did support it going that fast...that makes ya think doesnt it?

2. If my board does not support that fast of a chip then it will just run at the fastest that it does support

3. If using the 133 fsb get 133 ram..but do i have to?

Hate to keep bothering ya but processors are not really my forte....yet.

------------------

kingsizer

To be real basic, if you can get a 1GHz Piii at 100MHz FSB, then go for it. It's more likely to be compatible, is more versatile and the clock speeds are the same.
    It gives you the opportunity to clock it up to 1.3 GHz if you feel so inclined, whereas it would be more difficult to overclock a chip already running at 133Mhz FSB.

Its also worth considering the other components in your PC when considering upgrading.
    I'd rather have a Piii800 with 256MB Cas2 Pc133 ram and a 7200rpm ATA100 hard drive with a Radion DDR, for example, than a Piii1000 with 128MB Cas3 pc100, a 5400 HDD ATA33 and an S3 Savage 4 graphics card.
    And that all important motherboard...

------------------
    --(=):&gt;

pumpkinhead77

Well, my current comp config is

7200 rpm hd
    voodoo 5 5500
    cd-rw
    8x dvd
    128 pc-100 (upgrading to 256 when and if i ever get the processor thing straight)
    550e p3 100 fsb

i have everything that i need basically except for the faster processor that i so desire. teh mobo is less than 1 year old so there really isnt a need for an update yet is there? and also, ihave one of those gay compaq (compuke) bios's should it be updated? if so, you wouldnt know where to find one cause i have searched the site and cant seem to find and update for mine

------------------

kingsizer

Darned compaq. At least when you build your own system you know what you've got. Still, that's what their support is all about. Goto the compaq website and e-mail them. Ask them if the M/B is compatible and if you need to flash the BIOS, then could they mail you an update, with some instructions.

[This message has been edited by kingsizer (edited February 04, 2001).]

pumpkinhead77

Thumbs down

Well, i have called compuke several times and i jut get their damned automated crap and then either get busy signals or i get put on hold for 2+ hours and when i e-mail tehm they tell me to call my local authorized service center which is radio shack and tehy tell me to call compaq. I have told them this time and time again but they insist every time that i send mail that i either goto their site to find help or that i call their help line which is impossible to through on. ugh! damn compaq, damn them to hell!

------------------

x_789

Clarification first off I will be willing to bet the upgrade ability of this board is very little. Propritary sytems use the chepeast stuff they can find to make there system so the likly hood of having a chipset that can be upgraded especially to a gig from a 550 is very small.
    If you are able to find a bios update and run the 133fsb chip then you will have to upgrade your ram also to run it at this speed. or it will decrease the multipler so instead of 1000 it will run at 8?? I would guess that is if you run the PC100 ram. I would asume you would have the same thing if you run the faster fsb ship in the slower board it would have the same effect The key thing to find out here is what the voltages that these chips run at is it the same as a 100fsb chip.
    MY recomendation is buy a 1g chip 100fsb then you dont need to get the faster ram or board at that point. Then when you decide to buy a newer board you can also buy the 133 ram and over clock the 1g chip. Other wise you will have to buy board ram and chip all at the same time to go to 133fsb. X

[This message has been edited by x_789 (edited February 05, 2001).]

x_789

TEll us the exact model and serial so we can look at the specs at compaq to see what chipset it has please. X

pumpkinhead77

Thumbs up

well, sorry to keep bothering you but it is a 5852 presario thanks for any help that you can provide

i would also update my board but i dont think that it would fit in the weird looking case right. and i do plan on upgrading my ram also

------------------

pumpkinhead77

well, i will have to get back to you on teh serial # as i am not currently at home to look at it but check back around 4:00 eastern time and it should be up.

thanks guys, you have been a big help so far in helping me solve my little computer problems

------------------

pumpkinhead77

Cool

ok, well now that i am home i can give you my s/n

1x9acvf6f0y7

hope that you have better luck on their site than i have had

------------------