[RESOLVED] sound through sound card faint & scratchy -- works fine with DVD in same system

Thread: [RESOLVED] sound through sound card faint & scratchy -- works fine with DVD in same system

window_washer

Post sound through sound card faint & scratchy -- works fine with DVD in same system

Putting together a system with a Lite-On 52X CDROM drive and a DVD-ROM as well (don't ask why, they just want it this way). Trouble is, CD music through the 52x comes out very faint and scratchy. Everything else about the machine is great -- plays DVD sound, system sound, and CD-ROM sound properly through speakers and when discs are put in the DVD drive. Headphone jack works good too. I've tried replacing the drive and the cabling, and that has made no difference. Any inspirations as to what I should try next?

Asus motherboard, Win98SE, Asound PCI sound card.

------------------
    There's an exception to every rule, except this one.

Ok, I assume you have replaced IDE cable as well as the cd audio cable? Secondly, Have you made sure the cd audio portion of your sound is set high loud enough? Double click on the speaker icon in your system tray and you get all kinds of options.

bcgreen

Lightbulb

hello WW! i do not have any experience with dvd`s yet. if it has a little sound cable to the sound card you mite swap cd-rom cable & dvd cable at the sound card [if they are the same].and see if you get better sound.the little conector post may be dirty.just a thought.like i said never installed a sys. dvd . good luck ! b.c.

Smile

As stated above, ensure that you are using the correct 4 pin sound cable to go from the 52x to the sound card. It should have one wire for right channel, one for the left channel, and one for ground. Find the manual for the 52x, and make sure they line up correctly.

HTH

------------------
    MadDog
    This space for rent.

window_washer

Got it working -- thanks for the suggestions. Turned out in the end the DVD-ROM was interfering with the signal somehow. When I disconnected the multimedia cable that led from DVD to sound card and rebooted, it worked just fine with only the CDROM connected. When I reconnected the DVD and tried again, the static and poor signal was back. What was the cause? I don't know, but replacing the Asound card with a Creative SB16 PCI cured the problem and now both drives are working wonderfully.

Thanks for the tips, tho!

------------------
    There's an exception to every rule, except this one.