Registry Cleaners?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Registry Cleaners?

Registry Cleaners?

Hello,

Does anyone use a Registry Cleaner?

And if so, which is the best and safest ....

Been reading on Google until blue in the face, some say certain ones work fine and others say the same software crashes their PC.

I have a free version of Registry Mechanic and it finds over 100 invalid entries. Sometimes I fix them manually, but that's a real tedious job ! Would like something to do it automatically without crashing PC...

Thanks

Poetry, recordings and photos >> Welcome to My World

What I use:

SpybotS&D under Tools - system internals scan

CCleaner - registry - I only select 1,3,4,5,7,9,11,12,13 of the possible 13

Some FREE things often target stuff that is innocuous and make it sound like they did something fantastic.

I'd avoid using registry cleaners at all. Ccleaner is OK for helping resolve some specific problems, but essentially all registry cleaners are making an educated guess at which entries can be deleted safely. And sometimes they are wrong. To make matters worse, these errors tend to be cumulative, so over time most cleaners will trash your registry for you sooner or later.

I'd agree with slgrieb. I use CCleaner but only sparingly. I generally never suggest it to my clients as a tool to use but I will install it for other purposes.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

I would also agree registry cleaners are taboo
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Oh you DO disappoint me ... I thought I'd find a magic wand.

I've used Ccleaner for ages and all boxes are ticked and never had any problems, but it only ever finds a few.

I also use Registry Clean Expert, it compacts your Registry when there is lots of space and never had any problems with that.

Hmmmm....... back to the drawing board.

Huggles....

(Oh despite my flippancy, am far from well, so please pray or cross your legs or something for me... and hold me in your thoughts ...)

Poetry, recordings and photos >> Welcome to My World

I rarely use registry cleaners as well because they can do things like blow out license files for software you have purchased. With the above disclaimer out of the way I have in the past used one called RegVac that is pretty nice if you leave it in novice mode. It allows you to backup the registry before you make the changes and it saves the changes. It also has a couple of other nice little tools built in that I like for editing file types. But again I would use this very sparingly like the others have said.
    Can't never did anything except whine about what he couldn't do.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.

http://www.northernaurora.com/page/index.html
    http://www.northernaurora.com/page/chat.html Free Chat

The only REG CLEANER i use is REGSEEKER and all it does is remove UN-NEEDED KEYS (After running a program and deleting its temp files for example it will delete the keys pointing to those files,etc)

First time i ran regseeker on my computer it removed about 850 Keys!! -- I was quite impressed and gave it a home straight away!!

Reg cleaners are NOT FOR BEGGINERS,for example on regseeker if you goto the startup tab AND REMOVE ALL ENTRIES,you have just removed all of your startup programs FROM STARTING AT BOOT!!
    Last edited by Dude111; January 9th, 2012 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
    The only REG CLEANER i use is REGSEEKER and all it does is remove UN-NEEDED KEYS (After running a program and deleting its temp files for example it will delete the keys pointing to those files,etc)

First time i ran regseeker on my computer it removed about 850 Keys!! -- I was quite impressed and gave it a home straight away!!

Reg cleaners are NOT FOR BEGGINERS,for example on regseeker if you goto the startup tab AND REMOVE ALL ENTRIES,you have just deleted all your startup programs!!
    Anything that has the power to delete the startup keys is a dangerous
    piece of software. I am of the opinion they do nothing for you even though they claim too.
    I think they are doing nothing but making the user feel like something great has happened.
    Last edited by Ferrit; January 8th, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    www.northernaurora.net

I agree with Ferrit on this, not to mention I'd be terrified of a program that just deleted 850 keys. Volume of what is removed isn't important, WHAT is removed is. When I run CCleaner and that's a rarity but when I do I check to see if it's even finding/removing the files I was wanting it to search out in the first place. Example: I had to uninstall or manually delete a program but I know that it's not totally removed. I run CCleaner and check what it found against what I want to remove. If it's removing anything other than what I was looking for I take those items off the list unless there is a reason to get rid of them.
    One Script to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste
    I agree with Ferrit on this, not to mention I'd be terrified of a program that just deleted 850 keys.
    Well Niclo it only removes keys that DO NOT POINT ANYWHERE which is why the first time i used it,IT REMOVED 850 KEYS.. (I hadnt ever cleaned before)

It removed 850 keys and 4 or 5 invalid ADD/REMOVE entries (I cant remember)

I provided an example above in case someone tries regseeker on here,THEY DONT GOTO THE STARTUP TAB AND DELETE THE ENTRIES THERE

An EXCELLENT program for sure

I agree with Ferrit and Nilco Iste. Using registry cleaners is like playing with fire. Sooner or later you are going to get burned.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

I'll back down on this then. Install whatever registry cleaning tools you like. Just make sure to tell me about what ones you used before you post any questions on how to fix your computer so I know not to waste time on a hosed registry issue.

I've seen shoddy registry cleaners/tweakers ruin a system and I've even seen CCleaner do it on occasion. There is no magic fix-me button nor is there a magic make my computer better than what it is button. People need to quit looking for the proverbial fountain of youth for their PCs and realize that they either need new hardware or a real fix applied to their PC. The registry is not a simple file or program that just can be reverted or fixed with easy steps and in a majority of cases one needs in depth knowledge of the registry to even fix it.

I have no further input on this and wish anyone who stumbles upon this thread good luck, and may God have mercy on their souls.
    One Script to find them.

Frankly all you really have is this registry seekers word that it deleted whatever number of key and whatever else.
    I know lots of spyware that claims I have multiple virus-ed files
    and it even shows me a screen that actually looks like it.
    But in the end I know its blatant lies .
    So if you want to use it then by all means go ahead.
    I have had to reload way too many systems because of these supposed magic cleaners including 1 or 2 of my own.
    Last edited by Ferrit; January 9th, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    www.northernaurora.net

I have made a fortune re-imaging computers that have had "magic" registry cleaners run on them. I warn the customers, but the carrot and the stick... <-- Just my personal 2 cents!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz