RPC Error when adding Trust

Thread: RPC Error when adding Trust

Red face RPC Error when adding Trust

OK, Heres the scoop.

I have a native Windows 2k domain, with 6 DC's. The DC's are located at different branches (30 miles apart) connected via T1's.

When I try to create a Trust in the first domain with a second native win2k domain, I recieve an error that says "RPC server is unavailable". The second domain has no problem creating a trust, but it can't be verified.

I have been through many TechNet (and other) articles. But have found very little info about these errors. The one suggestion I found was to reboot, but that is very hard since I have 6 servers with little down time. I have also verified that the RPC service is started on all servers.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Check your Event Viewer to see if you can get a more detailed error message. Also are both RPC services running? RPC, and RPC Locator?

Yes, both the RPC, and RPC locator are started. I have looked at the event logs in detail and havn't found any reference to RPC.

One thing of note. I have the ability to create trusts from any DC in the domain, yet they are all generating the same error. I doubt that all the servers are suffering from the same failed service. It seems more likely to me that they are looking to one server for this roll, but I know of no way to define which server takes this RPC roll.