win2k repair install won't let me add new hardware

Thread: win2k repair install won't let me add new hardware

Question win2k repair install won't let me add new hardware

Hi -

I just had a situation where my installation of win2k pro got "messed" up. I lost some of the key files like ntldr, ntdetect.com, and others. Somehow, at the same time, permissions got messed up, too. After I used the original CD to do a Repair on my installation, it won't let me install new hardware. It just says "Access is Denied" after I do the Add new hardware wizard. I log in as the administrator, and my user level is set as administrator with full priveledges, but I can't add anything.
    If this makes a difference, in order to access my hard drive at all after my crash, I had to put it in another win2k machine and force the hard drive to give me full permissions. I can read and write files now, and I can remove hardware, but I can't seem to add new hardware.

Anybody have any clues?
    Noah

Three words - I'm a Dumbass.

When I forced full control on the hard drive, I just assumed that it would automatically propogate to all folders on the hard drive. Of course, there's this little check box that's unique to every folder called "allow inheritable permissions to propogate from parent".
    In short, I just didn't have permission for such folders as \winnt and \winnt\system32. These can be slightly important for adding new hardware.

Me == Dumbass

Noah

Originally posted by Noah Miller:
    Three words - I'm a Dumbass.
    actually it's four words...

I'm = I am

don't worry - it can happen to the best...

Wink

American Heritage Dictionary defines a contraction as "a) a shortened word or words formed by omitting or combining some of the letters or sounds b) the formation of such a word"

The use of the singular in the b) section of the definition would tend to indicate the the final product of a contraction is considered to be a single word.

So, I'm sure the expression on your face is
    So I'm being a smartass. I may be an average to poor IT guy, but I make a lot more money than if I'd been a writer.

Man I have too much time on my hands.
    Seriously, thanks for checking up on my dumb problem.

Noah