Installing programs across multiple users

Thread: Installing programs across multiple users

Post Installing programs across multiple users

Ok, this is probably a dumb questions but I'll ask it anyway.

How do you install a program so that it is available to multiple users? By this I mean I want each user that is logged on to have the progams on thier start menu, or on startup, etc.

Also, are there any good web references on using 2K? I'm just using it for home use and really don't want to go out and buy another book that I don't have time to read. I'm not trying to be a power user, but would like something to learn from.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Redmond

Question

Ahhhhh the eternal nightmare. Again seeing that all users have thier own registry,("user.dat" in the document and settings [imput user name here]) it is dificult to get a program that is not desighned for NT NT 40 / 2K to go across multiple users. GOOD installers will automaticaly create folders in the "ALL USERS" folder and automaticaly register the software in that USER.DAT file to give all loged in user's acces to the APP.(Norton 2001 installer is a good example. Hack it back and look at what the installer does... it kew. USE sysdiff before and then after.) If the installer sucks but is still 32Bit and will install.... ya gotta install it manualy (In the same directory) over and over for every user becuase your aim is not to install the app but to GET IT REGISTERED in that USERS "USER.DAT" I LOVE / HATE NT.....

You could always set the runonce command in the login script - then each user will have to run the setup once.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Elbatcho

Talking

The other option you have is meta-frame and a citrix client. This allows you to install applications on a termianl server and share them with users on there desktops using a citrix session. You can also build webpages with the citrix sessions incoded. That's what we do here for our remoute users.