Explorer hangs on 1st use

Thread: Explorer hangs on 1st use

Arrow Explorer hangs on 1st use

I have a customer that just purchased a Dell. It came pre-loaded with W2K and Office XP. Since the day he got it, every time you access windows explorer after a reboot it hangs for up to a minute. The next time you access explorer, it works fine. Then if you are in an application and want to open a file, the Look in: drop down box takes almost a minute to drop down. The second time you Look in: from that program, it works fine. This problem is replicated for every program I've tried.
    The PC is a Xeon 1.7 ghz with 512mb RIMM 40gb HDD (7200 rpm). Just with those specs, I would not expect to have this problem.
    The PC is part of a Win2k network with AD. None of the other W2K machines have this problem.
    Is anyone familiar with this problem? I am still looking for an answer in the MSKB, and I'll post the artical if I find one.
    Thanks in advance,
    Celeste
    The truth is out there, you just need to decrypt it.

HAve you tried getting all the updates for Win 2K and Office XP.
    Try cleaning the system up freed from TMP files and other useless programs that run in the background
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

If it is part of a network you may want to check the connection speeds, wins, dns, the nic and the mappings. The problem you have discribe is almost like the network is not communicating correctly. Also you may want to put SP2 on the machine to see if that clears the problem. If you need more help just post.
    Almighty Elbatcho Della Vente, Scurge von AOL, Tyrant von NT, Huhn des Schulegeländes, großartiger hinterer Viceroy Admiral der oberen nordöstlichen südlichen Zustand Widder K-Auto Kategorie des bedwetting Auslesesuperschutzes der Eastwestern Grafschaften, des Spam deathlord des Spam'o'knights, des Spacemonkey und des stolzen Inhabers von 250 mindestens meine kleinen Ponies

Sorry about not giving all the info the first time...
    The install of W2K from Dell had sp2 on it. He is also using a modem for winfax, which also runs on his task bar for quick loading of the program. I have cleaned as much out of the taskbar and startup menu as possible, but I also have to let him have the Office quicklaunch bar, Norton, winfax, etc. (Users will never understand)
    I was having problems with the windows update site for the past few days, but it looks like its working now.
    ElBatcho - I had a friend suggest that Explorer may be looking for connections through the modem first.??? Is this the kind of stuff that you want me to look for?
    Thank you for the suggestions.
    C

[quote]Originally posted by celeste9519:
    <strong>Sorry about not giving all the info the first time...
    The install of W2K from Dell had sp2 on it. He is also using a modem for winfax, which also runs on his task bar for quick loading of the program. I have cleaned as much out of the taskbar and startup menu as possible, but I also have to let him have the Office quicklaunch bar, Norton, winfax, etc. (Users will never understand)
    I was having problems with the windows update site for the past few days, but it looks like its working now.
    ElBatcho - I had a friend suggest that Explorer may be looking for connections through the modem first.??? Is this the kind of stuff that you want me to look for?
    Thank you for the suggestions.
    C</strong><hr></blockquote>
    Yes explora is a fickle creature at best, it may be looking for a mapping, such as an Internet drive or a virtual drive. I have seen this type of thing before and it has always been because of a missing mapping here.
    Almighty Elbatcho Della Vente, Scurge von AOL, Tyrant von NT, Huhn des Schulegeländes, großartiger hinterer Viceroy Admiral der oberen nordöstlichen südlichen Zustand Widder K-Auto Kategorie des bedwetting Auslesesuperschutzes der Eastwestern Grafschaften, des Spam deathlord des Spam'o'knights, des Spacemonkey und des stolzen Inhabers von 250 mindestens meine kleinen Ponies

ElBatcho, Thanks for all the help. I'll go up there tonight and clean up his mappings, and do all the updating that Danimal told me to do.
    It'll be fixed soon.
    Thanks again.

Well I went back to the customer's site on Saturday and fixed everything by uninstalling office XP....?????

Something in office must have been telling explorer to hang forever before opening. I will not be installing Office XP at least until SP2!

<strong>Well I went back to the customer's site on Saturday and fixed everything by uninstalling office XP....?????

Something in office must have been telling explorer to hang forever before opening. I will not be installing Office XP at least until SP2!</strong><hr></blockquote>

nice to hear you fixed your prob but i was just wondering if you tried updating IE?
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

<strong>Well I went back to the customer's site on Saturday and fixed everything by uninstalling office XP....?????

Something in office must have been telling explorer to hang forever before opening. I will not be installing Office XP at least until SP2!</strong><hr></blockquote>could it be and I (internet) drive. I know I used to have one on my home PC and when I uninstalled it the office installer came up to finish the instalation of the I(nternet)drive.

Keep in mind that Office XP and IE share a BOATLOAD of ActiveX controls, dlls and scripting components. I would recommend upgrading the machine to IE 6 and applying all security patches and bug fixes from Windows Update. I am running Office XP on my Win 2k/IE 6 lappy with no issues.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

I had updated IE to 5.5sp2, but not to IE6 just to keep the network consistent. Haven't had any problems since uninstalling OfficeXP and going back to 2000.
    Next time I try to install OfficeXP, I will definately try to run it with IE6.
    Thanks,
    Celeste