memory

Thread: memory

Post memory

been chasing a few ghosts in the machine on and off for the last few months which seem to be related to processes trying to access memory areas that are already being used.

anyway i was looking at the system summary and it shows total physical memory at 130,612kb(i have a 128m stick of pc-100) and
    available physical memory of 28,324kb. am i reading this right that w2k is using 100 megs of memory? the only thing running is background processes and a few items in the system tray (nav and zone alarm).

should i throw more memory in her or is this not normal. i mean i know windows os's have always been memory hogs but sheeesh....

thanks, storm...
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

StevePorter

Lightbulb

I doubled the memory in my wife's computer from 128MB to 256MB under W2K and everything runs faster. The bootup time was reduced significantly and programs load much more quickly. I'd recommend the upgrade, especially since you can pick up a stick of 128MB PC100/133 SDRAM for less than $50, including S&H. Just do it...

steve, you keep this up and i'll feel obliged to put you on my x-mas card list

iateyourcat

same here. 256 is sweet. and as i sit here with ie open, task manager, explorer, nav in the background, and mouseware in the background, I'm using 109megs.

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

MTUHyperTech

I don't know what the OS is using it for, but I have 256MB of PC-133 and it uses 116MB. So far I have been impressed with its speed and stability.

------------------
    PCMCIA - People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Abbreviations

wgbjr

Cool

My Win2k box is using 113MB right now. Nothing out of the ordinary for it to use that much with NAV and Zonealarm. I have 2 128MB DIMM's in my system.

Mine's using 204Mb right now--I have some apps running fulltime in the background...

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

256 seems to be the right amount of memory for Win 2000, currently running 198 MEG PC 100 but considering switching to 256 PC 133 any one having memory problems with ASUS MB and PC 133

------------------
    <b>A+ COMPTIA</b>
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo

captpackrat

My big Server box is using about 270M of RAM, out of 512M physical. Then again, I've also got about 60 processes running....

My laptop is using 153M out of 196M physical, with 43 processes running.

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

If you're furry and you know it, hug the mouse!

Comboy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by storm:
    been chasing a few ghosts in the machine on and off for the last few months which seem to be related to processes trying to access memory areas that are already being used.

anyway i was looking at the system summary and it shows total physical memory at 130,612kb(i have a 128m stick of pc-100) and
    available physical memory of 28,324kb. am i reading this right that w2k is using 100 megs of memory? the only thing running is background processes and a few items in the system tray (nav and zone alarm).

should i throw more memory in her or is this not normal. i mean i know windows os's have always been memory hogs but sheeesh....

thanks, storm...
    </font>
    That sounds just about right. It varies depending on how much processes you have going and what's loaded in the background. Check your systray. I have 256 and about 1104xx kb is available.

Darren Wilson

Thumbs up

Everything sweet here with 512Mb using 110640Kb with Win2k, IE5.5, Outlook 2000, MSN Messenger, runing pluss all the standard processes.

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

Darren,

Have you noticed any big improvments 256 Vs 512 of ram? (Win2K)

[A Crucial/Mushkin man here]

(I have had to many problems with the generic cheep stuff, especially on Win9x machines. VxD and Registry Errors!)

-wayne

------------------
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:............Techno®
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

well, i just went to 256 meg and life is good. big improvement over 128.

------------------