[RESOLVED] setup won't setup

Thread: [RESOLVED] setup won't setup

donboy

Resolved [RESOLVED] setup won't setup

I am doing an upgrade from 95 to 98 on a PII 450 w/64mb no sound. The upgrad installs and reboots, finds pnp devices and looks for non pnp devices. At 98% the hdd runs about 3 times and I get a gp stating that msgsrv32 has performed an illegal operation. Under details it says that msgsrv32 has caused a gp in module sysdetmg @ 002:00002355. I removed all the cards except video and it still does it. erased autoexec & config.sys -
    no help, locked out some of system & win.ini - ho help. Contacted MS - they said to disable sound card - no help (there isn't one). System will boot into safe mode. Has anyone seen this problem ?

thanks

Ya_know

I havn't seen it, but I would suggest looking down this list of things, see if anything pertains to your problems.
    http://support.microsoft.com/support...SRCH&SPR=MSALL

MS Knowledge Base may have more answers specific to what you are seeing, try different searches there...If it is possible, I would advise that you load 98 clean, and not upgrade. If it upgrades flawless, OK, if you can get through these problems easily, OK. If not, you know the ryme

"fdisk-format-reinstall, do'da, do'da"

PS. Don't forget to rule out bad memory during installs can do funny things. Even though it works fine in 95, 98 uses it differently. Try swaying in some new sticks, and rerun the setup for the upgrade...

------------------

jay015

Lightbulb

Juat a thought! Try disabling all power management in the bios.

donboy

Thanks guys - tried new memory, tried disabling power mgt, extracted new msgsrv32 and sysdetmg files, disabled everything in device mgr - nothing works - same error. Been working on this for 2 days - cloned the drive so I can save this beast for another day. (cloned drive does the same thing) Will format and try again. Thanks (by the way we need a smoking gun icon for the ones we can't fix)

sly69

Lightbulb

I've had the samething happen with the win98 up-grade disk, never did get it to work, but I was able to do a clean install with it. Fdisk, format and make bootable, copy D:\Win98 to HD, and install from HD, have Win95 disk ready for confirmation..

Worked pretty well, and I've done it on a few systems PI, PII, Celarons, and some K6s.

I've since gotten a few copies of win98se OEM and up-grade and it still works with both, (got tired of having to find Win95 for confirmation....LOL)

Just my $1.98 worth.......

------------------
    "More Than Merely Names"
    "NEVER FORGOTTEN"

this is an upgrade issue,seen it before try clean boot or get a later version of 98 to upgrade with(i.e 98 se retail).