[RESOLVED] Whats so bad about WindowsMe?~?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Whats so bad about WindowsMe?~?

Paul191

Exclamation Whats so bad about WindowsMe?~?

The only problem I have found with WindowsME is installing it. Every time I get to the CDkey enter thing, my keybored locks up and Mouse. Though now I have solved this problem, I use a USB mouse and keybored and I put my old keybored and mouse in and they sovled the problem. The other thing I didn't like in WindowsMe was the new WebView stuff with Windows Explorer but to fix this problem right click on a shotcut off Windows Explorer and chose propties and then in the target area type in C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\ that should revert you back to the good old Windows98se settings, oh remember to have Rember folder views clicked off.. Another smart program to get is Folder view saver, this file is located at www.download.com Any way other than those problems my system has not crassed or any thing.. its been wonderfull and its even faster than before and I have a Gateway system G6-450

Wink

Quite Right Paul

The only trouble I had was that Sophos anti virus loaded back up again after I rebooted the system. It's also had about 2 shutdown problems, but apart from that I like ME
    Why Do Prisons Use Windows ME?

Because it always Locks Up

(Futurama)

The only problem I have found with WindowsME...
    and then go on to list 3 or 4 things you had to change, and/or download 3rd party software to fix...hardware incompatibility, you had to change both the mouse andkeyboard...
    And you wonder why we don't like ME?!
    Who needs a life, I have Internet! <a href="http://members.cnx.net/reboot/" target="_blank">Jim & Sue's Free Files</a> | <a href="http://reboot.8m.com" target="_blank">Jim's Modems</a> | [email protected]

Red face

It just screwed up my system really bad! I said f*** it and fdisk/format installed Win2K. No problems since!

DaOnly123Kid

Originally posted by QSECOFR:
    It just screwed up my system really bad! I said f*** it and fdisk/format installed Win2K. No problems since!

thats the way to do it Q

i did the same thing (then sold my copy of ME)

PastorKenn

Smile

One problem,I've noticed with WinME is you can't restart in MSDOS mode.. I hate that.. I'm hoping someone one out there knows a trick short of rebooting from A:\ that could get the job done. One feature I do like is the easy interface with the restore program... but I love playing around in DOS, so anyone got an idea?

The only reason I keep my ME disc is just incase I have a PC at the office get flaky!

Originally posted by DaOnly123Kid:

thats the way to do it Q

i did the same thing (then sold my copy of ME)

I really have not had any major problems myself. But that was on a clean install. Upgrades have been kind of scary but that is nothing new for windows.

Lightbulb

Well now lots of ME haters I see. I actually got a free copy from MS when it first came out. I did the upgrade thing from Win95 and it went just fine. Then ... the troubles started. I won't go into detail but it was a pain the a** more so than anything being broken. Nonethe less I moved all my critical data to CD and my other PC and wiped my machine clean and did a fresh install. Things have been just fine ever since. I test loaded it onto two of my old machines (just one copy loaded at a time ya know) and it worked fine on both. In my experience it identfies hardware better than Win95 & Win98SE. Anyhow that's my two cents.

The question really is -- 'Whats right about winme?'
    The answer is, when you compare it to Windows 2000, theres not much good about it...It BSODs all the time, program errors, sumtimes doesnt even load up properly - and thatr was from a fresh install.
    Yup, like the other two, i took it off and installed win2k and havent had a single problem since

I cant find any reason to use ME instead of 98, cant compare to 2000. I have never seen the restore function correctly and that would be the only possible reason for home users to use it. Just a lot more bsods.

Kenteth420 hit the nail on the head. Even Billy G knew how reliable it was or MS would not have included RECOVER as part of the OS.

Paul191

Talking

Well it seems like some you hate WindowsMe and with good reason. I didn't like windowsMe at first because of the new web views and the trouble with My documents. I know they where installed in Win98se but things where different. Any way Win98se seems so dull and boring, oh and it doesn't even shutdown my computer properly where WindowsME dose. Yes I have downloaded the so called Win98se shut down fix but that didn't solve the problem. Another thing is, I had 2 mouse's showing in my device manager as well WindowsMe fixed that from a clean Install!. Only trouble I had in WindowsMe was installing it I have a Microsoft Pro Keyboard and Microsoft Intel Mouse Explorer both USB. WindowsME install kept on crashing half way through or at the being. Heck it even crashed when I got to the finish! it said click finish but I couldn't because the mouse did not work or the keyboard. SO I had to do all the thing again. Yet I found out the problem, I don't think Windows recognizes USB very well so I took out all my usb stuff. Any way I bought a copy of Win2k and went to install it it keeps crashing, I can't even install on my computer. At lest with WindowsME I get an OS, and I will never go back to Win98se! I say keep every thing upto date and yes with the DOS dos is old, I was using dos when I was 14 now I am 22. No other programs use dos any more, other than old games. Any way every one has there own opinions.

Angry

Originally posted by Paul191:
    ... Any way Win98se seems so dull and boring...
    What I expect from an OS is that it should be reliable, not funny. But our friend Billy G. doesnīt seem to be thinking that way. He keeps plugging "entertainig" stuff on his OSs instead of turning them more reliable.
    And beacuse of that u need a fastest processor, a bigger HDD, more memory...
    But, well, we canīt deny that windows is getting funnier release after release. I have a lot of fun trying to find patches, third party programs that solve Win problems, drivers that work, service packs...
    Sorry guys got to go to install my Win XP Beta 2 that is funnier than ever, iīve heard it melts your processor... (try a third party program to recover from that)

You just started using ME. Give it time, I'm sure it'll disappoint you.

It all really depends on what you use your system for. If you play graphic intense games like Q3A, UT, MDK2, etc., that's where you'll find the difference.

As far as I'm concerned, it's ok for internet, & email.
    Hey man! Hand me that thing. Not that thing! The other thing!!! You know, the thing!!!