CDR Freezes my Computer

Thread: CDR Freezes my Computer

Post CDR Freezes my Computer

when ever I try to access my CDR it freezes up my computer. This happened after installing a new hard drive. The drive letters for all drives are corredc and both cd(DVD) and cdr show up in "My computer" and say "This device working"

please help
    Thanks

Had that problem with a DVD drive once. Try another IDE channel.

Does your DVD drive work?

Disable DMA for the CDR.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

DVD works fine, I disabled the DMA still not working. How do I chance the IDE channel?

Open up your computer, do you see the big cable attached to your drive? Well follow it to the motherboard and you'll see the cable attached to 1 of 2 ports.

Simply follow the other big cable up, and see if there are any empty connectors; if there are, use that connector. You can always unhook another CDROM or a 2nd hard drive to free up a connector (temporarily)

If the connector is in the middle of the cable, set the jumper on the back of the drive to "slave"; if it's at the end, set it to "master".

However, do NOT unhook the primary master to free up a connector! You can see if the connector on your board is the primary one by looking right next to the connector; then do NOT unhook the hard drive that is at the other end of that cable.

[quote]Originally posted by JungleMan:
    <strong>If the connector is in the middle of the cable, set the jumper on the back of the drive to "slave"; if it's at the end, set it to "master".</strong><hr></blockquote>

This part only pertains to it if you are using ATA66/100 cables which you shouldn't really on CD/DVD/CDRW-roms. If you are using standard 40 cable IDE's then it doesn;t matter which connector the slave/master is on as long as only one device is set to each setting.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!