possible virus infection - please help!!

Thread: possible virus infection - please help!!

Post possible virus infection - please help!!

Guys - I think my PC may be infected with a virus (Melissa, perhaps) due to a few strange files with .eml extension that have suddenly appeared.

Anyone know of a good, *free*, on-line virus checker? (like the sort of thing that used to be available through windrivers).

Any help in effectively diagnosing my system (unfortunately without any AV software) would be extremely gratefully received.

Cheers,

Gutted.
    MG Metro Turbos rule

Try <a href="http://www.antivirus.com/" target="_blank">this</a>

The .eml files are a key symptom of the Nimda virus. You can find a description and removal instructions at <a href="http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]">Symantec</a>.
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

Guys - thanks for the help. Have been off the net for a while while I looked into it.

Got some help from teh chatroom, too - turned out my PC had gotten the Nimda virus like you said.

Thought it was high time I got myself some AV software - system now clean again.

Thanks again, guys.
    MG Metro Turbos rule

I usually check out CERT, Symantec and McAfee (in that order) whenever a possible virus infection occurs.

That's how I found Nimda lurking about my network...

I hope you didn't have open shares on your network and admin rights
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Network should be safe. All the guys in the house have read-only permission on shared drives. The only place where there is full control is on the samba drive.

And I've got a sneaky suspcion that someone else in the house got the Nimda virus first, and left some infected files on the samba drive. Maybe. Maybe not. But things started going a bit crazy after I tried to open an eml file on our samba drive..... Hmmmmm. (I thought it would be safe as it was our own private network )

Anyway - cheers again for your replies!
    MG Metro Turbos rule

dont know if this helps i see im too late but ive always had good luck using f_prot and its free in the dos boot form updated regularly you can find it on the virus updates windrivers home page good tool!
    Its not the end of the world but you can see it from here. sys, 1.3 tbird 266 on asus av7 133, 1536 megs pc 133,elsa gladiac gts 32 ddr vidio card, sound blaster 5.1 platinum,{3} 40 gig western dig ata 100, 7200 drives {2}maxtors 1 60 and 1 80 gig ata 10 7200 drivescreative 5x dvd {it works!}56x light on {no shatterd disks yet}and a 24xs plextor enermax power at400 watt and cable modom ! running xp pro