Allow binding to ATM

Thread: Allow binding to ATM

Unhappy Allow binding to ATM

It is about the TCP/IP properties of a networkadaptor. If you click on advanced, then you can choose to allow bindings to ATM, or not.

Is it a good idea to put it on yes ?

And what happens if I do ?

Sorry, but there are a lot of open questions (even if they are answered, I think I can't help you, but without nobody can...)

- What OS are you using?
    - What network adapter are you referring to?
    - what is your network setup in general? (fibre/cable/switch/router...)
    - Are you using ATM in your network? (If yes, you should know the answer to your question better than me by looking in your documentation...) (if no, I don't have any clue what ATM means else than the networking protocol - you)
    - from the question above I come to the conclusion that you surely have to have more than 1 NIC with ATM-possibilities... so if you really have ATM-adaptors I would definetly try them out with TCP/IP over ATM (if you can set them to)

I just want to make sure, that we can talk about it...

MysterIQ,

Here is some info on ATM...

Asynchronous transfer mode (ATM) is a dedicated-connection switching technology that organizes digital data into 53-byte cell units and transmits them over a physical medium using digital signal technology. Individually, a cell is processed asynchronously relative to other related cells and is queued before being multiplexed over the transmission path.

Because ATM is designed to be easily implemented by hardware (rather than software), faster processing and switch speeds are possible. The prespecified bit rates are either 155.520 Mbps or 622.080 Mbps. Speeds on ATM networks can reach 10 Gbps. Along with Synchronous Optical Network (SONET) and several other technologies, ATM is a key component of broadband ISDN (BISDN).

Also see this link;
    http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...213790,00.html

You should not enable it if there is not a reason to.

Elaborate on what u r trying 2 achieve? In general though, don't load services or protocols that u do not intend using, as it can decrease your connectivity performance.
    Sleep when your'e dead!