[RESOLVED] WAN technology needed.

Thread: [RESOLVED] WAN technology needed.

gallad

Resolved [RESOLVED] WAN technology needed.

Help me please.
    I am a net admin for a school division that doesn't have broadband internet. We are a rural school division, so we don't even have a provider in any of our towns. What I am looking for is a way to get highspeed into our division through either RF or microwave. There is a city about 20 miles from one of the towns, and there are internet service providers there that might be willing to help with the bandwith supply if we can find a way of getting to to our schools.

What I am looking for is either companies or websites that deal with this kind of technology. I have no idea what to really look for, so any help that you can give would really help.

btw- satalite is NOT broadband, besides they are droping us in 2 years... they don't wont schools on it.

------------------
    sig-na-ture? what is this signature thing?

putergrrl

Try getting ahold of AT&T. They should be able to provide you with a high-speed connection and provide you with cost of firewall services to keep unwanteds out. They're much easier to deal with than MTS as MTS will just tell you that "we don't have the lines set up there!" *just a crock-a-$het if you ask me!

------------------
    Sigh...still waiting for the lottery to pay off!!!

widget

Talking

There is a solution that is expensive but will supply you with up to 11mbps. 802.11b technology allows you to use antennas to broudcast signals over 16 miles. You would have to set something up with a ISP for some bandwidth then you would have to set-up the antennas yourself. Check this website out for more info http://orinocowireless.com/template....06&envelope=97

You can set up repeater stations to extend distance over 16 miles. Any questions respond to me here or call 1-866 Orinoco for more detailed information.

widget

Many companies use this technology to connect buildings wirelessly but I have helped some ISP's (not manually but by supplying info) provide services via these products. It usually works like a charm, main thing is getting antennas installed high enough.

[This message has been edited by widget (edited October 14, 2001).]

gallad

this would be great, but we have a problem of being 20 miles from the closest ISP...

------------------
    sig-na-ture? what is this signature thing?

gmiller220

Well he mentioned repeaters so you could setup a repeater in between and that should do ya.

------------------
    Boy, I'm tired of being right.

widget

yeah like i said,setup a repeater station say.. 10 miles from isp then a receiver station at building(s) you need coverage at.
    At that website you would need ROR's.

lurch

I have dealt with these folks, very satisfied, BTW. http://www.wilan.com/ There are lots of others, I liked dealing with these folks.

------------------
    Friend of Charon, In the Wind