Zone Alaram and a Linksys router

Thread: Zone Alaram and a Linksys router

Post Zone Alaram and a Linksys router

Recently, I purchased a Linksys router to provide multiple pc's access to my internet connection. When I bought my router, Linksys states that a 3rd party firewall is not needed, but a friend informed me that she was watching The Screen Savers, and they said, according to Linksys, that their routers and Zone Alarm compliment each other; and also provide the user with a double firewall.

Before I install Zone Alarm on my pc, I was hoping that some of you would provide me with some feedback about that? What would you do? Is this necessary? Thank you.
    "I see your lips moving but all I hear is 169.blah.blah.blah."

The nat capabilitys on your router are pretty good but not even that can stop a hacker that is determined to get into your local network. As I understand it the linksys routers have the capability to install zone alarm pro (I'm not sure about the free version) directly onto the router. This makes it so you wont have to install zone alarm on any of the computers. It's all in personal preferense I think. If you aren't a security buff then I would say to just go without the firewall and just run the nat. But then again that's just me.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

I looked into this a while back. If I remember correctly, all that happens by activating the ZoneAlarm/PC-Cillan options is that the router enforces the installation of ZoneAlarm Pro and PC-Cillan by denying access through the gateway to any workstation which does not have them installed. I also seem to remember that the ZoneAlarm Pro key is installed in the router and that all installations behind the router use this one key. If you remove a workstation from the network, ZoneAlarm goes into the 30 day demo mode. I think there might also be some similar deal with PC-Cillan. An up-to-date user's guide pdf file from the Linksys website should have all the information.

Make sure you download the latest firmware from Linksys to make it work

Registered User Stanley_Kubrick's Avatar

i know this is kind of an old topic, but stay away from the newewst ZA if you play alot of online games...

even though I had given all of them full access to the web in ZA pro, I had nothing but problems connecting with q3, mohaa, & starcaft until i uninstalled it.
    Jesus Saves.

Gretzky recovers... He shoots... HE SCORES!!!