weird domain connectivity issue

Thread: weird domain connectivity issue

Post weird domain connectivity issue

Ok, this has been a problem for a couple days now and I am totally stumped about it. On our network there are 2 domains, library and school. The school domain's pdc is running nt 4.0 and is named server6 (not the real name but enough for this purpose). There is another server named school4 on the school domain that only holds some programs and has no permissions set to it, anyone with access to the school domain can access school4. The library domain is running a new 2k server which replaced an NT4.0 server. I have already re-established the trust between the school and library and I can log onto the school domain from a computer in the library. Now the problem is that I can not get the computers in the library to connect to the school4 server. For some reason only 2 of the 40odd computers can see school4. It isn't a user problem because I have changed users about 20 times on one of the computers that can access school4, and no matter what user is logged on, it can still access school4. No other computers can access school4 no matter what user is logged on. The only thing I can think of is a computer account issue but like I said before, school6 server is the PDC and handles all that stuff and all the library computers can log onto the school domain. ANYTHING anyone can think of will be of extreme help. Thanks

Can you verify the library's computer's connectivity to school4? As in, can you go to an ms-dos window and ping school4 and/or it's IP address?

What is the exact message you get when trying to connect to school4? Cannot find server or some kind of access denied-type message?

If you are getting an access-denied message, you could try removing school4 from the domain, deleting it's computer account from the school PDC and then re-join school4 to the school domain. Do any other computers besides these in the library have any problems getting to school4?

As I said in my first post, only 2 computers can connect, ping, tracert or anything else to school4. All the other ones time out when trying to ping and say it can not find the share name or (something else I forget).

It isn't an access denied, it says it can not find the server or share name.

It is only the library that can not connect to the school4 server.

Just looking for some more specifics, I don't have a solution for you.

School4 is a member server of the school domain, right?
    And the new 2k server is a DC of the library domain?
    The Library PC's can log into both the Library domain, and the school domain?

What physically connects the library building to the rest of the network?

Offer anything more if you can think of anything pertinent.

I think I finally figured it out. For some reason the server wasn't picking up school4 in WINS so I added the address and name to the servers host file and now all is well. It seems that all the computers do not like using dhcp for wins resolution even though I am typing in the exact same wins server address when I change it to manual. But anyways, it was a combo DNS/WINS issue.